These Twix Cookies are rich, buttery shortbread rounds topped with caramel, melted chocolate and a sprinkling of sea salt flakes. SUPER simple and totally delish!
Winter, winter, go away, come again another day….
Or like never.
Hands down, the best thing about a snow day?
Baking cookies in my cozy little kitchen.
Sheets, upon sheets of warm Twix Cookies baking in my oven, warming my home and warming my soul.
Rich, buttery shortbread cookies, spectacular on their own that’s for sure, but topped with caramel and melted chocolate and little sprinkling of sea salt flakes?
That’s what snow day dreams are made of my friends!
Treat yourself to a few of these beauties with a warm cup of hot cocoa because it’s been a long winter, hasn’t it?
And we deserve it. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Twix Cookies Recipe:
I like to bake my cookies one sheet at a time. You can keep the other sheet in the refrigerator while the other tray is baking.
I used semisweet chocolate, but you could also use milk chocolate.
I used a fluted 2-inch round cookie cutter.
Shortbread Cut Outs
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 11-oz. bag Kraft caramels
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- 4 oz. semi-sweet Chocolate Baking Bar, chopped. (I use Ghirardelli)
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
Shortbread Cut Outs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place rack in middle of oven. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and confectioners' sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour and salt and beat until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Form the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and place on lightly floured surface. Roll dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with 2-inch round cookie cutter. Transfer to prepared sheets placing 1 inch apart. Place sheets in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and bake, one sheet at a time, for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack over a piece of parchment to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough until you've used it all.
- While all the cookies cool, make the caramel topping. In a medium bowl, combine unwrapped caramels and milk. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth. Top cooled cookies with 1 teaspoon of caramel. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped chocolate and vegetable oil. Microwave at 50% power in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until totally melted and smooth. Top cooled caramel with about 1 teaspoon melted chocolate. Then sprinkle with some sea salt flakes. Let the chocolate set before serving. (if possible!)