These Twix Cookies are rich, buttery shortbread rounds topped with caramel, melted chocolate and a sprinkling of sea salt flakes. SUPER simple and totally delish!
One of my favorite things to do in my cozy little kitchen is bake cookies.
For me it’s not just about eating the cookies, it’s the whole baking experience.
Sometimes I plan things out, sometimes I don’t.
Sometimes a craving hits at 8:00 at night and I get to baking. I mean there are millions of cookie recipes out there, so there’s no time to waste.
I’ve always been a HUGE fan of Twix Bars. You know, the candy bar that’s made of shortbread, caramel and chocolate? In my book, that’s a combination that can’t be beat, so making it into a cookie seemed like a delicious idea.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
The shortbread is crisp and crunchy and the caramel in these cookies is buttery and rich and just irresistible! And anything topped with chocolate can’t be bad, right?
There’s only a minimal amount of chilling time for these cookies.
The caramel takes mere minutes to whip up and can be done in your microwave, as well as the melted chocolate.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- unsalted butter
- confectioners’ sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- sea salt
- Kraft caramels
- whole milk
- semisweet chocolate
- vegetable oil
Making the shortbread cut outs is the first step. You’ll cream your butter with your confectioners’ sugar followed by your vanilla extract. Then you will add your flour and salt until just combined.
At this point you will form your dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
You’ll remove the dough from the fridge, then roll it out and cut with your cookie cutter, then refrigerate for 15 minutes followed by a bake time for 12-15 minutes until the cut outs are lightly browned around the edges.
While the cookies are cooling you’ll make your caramel by combining your caramels and milk in a bowl and microwaving in 30-second intervals until melted and smooth.
The melted chocolate is up next. You’ll combine the chocolate and vegetable oil in a microwavable bowl and cook at 50% power in 30-second intervals until melted and smooth.
Now it’s time to assemble your cookies. You’ll top each cookie with one teaspoon of caramel first and then one teaspoon of melted chocolate. I like to top my cookies with some flaked sea salt too. You’ll want the cookies to set before serving.
Sheets, upon sheets of warm Twix Cookies baking in my oven, warming my home and warming my soul.
Rich, buttery shortbread cookies, spectacular on their own that’s for sure, but topped with caramel and melted chocolate and a little sprinkling of sea salt flakes?
That’s what dreams are made of my friends!
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Twix Cookies
I like to bake my cookies one sheet at a time. You can keep the other sheet in the refrigerator while the other tray is baking.
I used semisweet chocolate, but you could also use milk chocolate.
I used a fluted 2-inch round cookie cutter.
More Delicious Cookie Recipes to Enjoy
Shortbread Cut Outs
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 11-oz. bag Kraft caramels
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- 4 oz. semi-sweet Chocolate Baking Bar, chopped. (I use Ghirardelli)
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
Shortbread Cut Outs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place rack in middle of oven. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and confectioners' sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour and salt and beat until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Form the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and place on lightly floured surface. Roll dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with 2-inch round cookie cutter. Transfer to prepared sheets placing 1 inch apart. Place sheets in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and bake, one sheet at a time, for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack over a piece of parchment to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough until you've used it all.
- While all the cookies cool, make the caramel topping. In a medium bowl, combine unwrapped caramels and milk. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth. Top cooled cookies with 1 teaspoon of caramel. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped chocolate and vegetable oil. Microwave at 50% power in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until totally melted and smooth. Top cooled caramel with about 1 teaspoon melted chocolate. Then sprinkle with some sea salt flakes. Let the chocolate set before serving. (if possible!)