Giving the classic gingersnap a few tweaks for summer! These Lemon Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies have the perfect hint of fresh lemon and they’re sandwiched together with some deliciously smooth vanilla buttercream!
See that big ole stack of Lemon Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies right up there ↑ folks? It was only a matter of seconds before that stack disappeared! Whooooosh! Gone! Gonzo! Zippo!
Zilch! Not a precious crumb left on that little plate!
And why did they disappear so quickly?? Remember I told you guys my niece and nephews would be coming in to visit from St. Louis? Well, they came, they saw and they conquered stack after stack of these deliciously delectable sandwich cookies!
I was so excited to whip up something in the kitchen with my niece Erin to share with you guys. And these cookies were our masterpiece! I was under pressure to photograph quickly because everyone was lining up to get their hands on one of these beauties!
It seemed kind of odd at first because the warm flavors of ginger, cinnamon and molasses usually seem more of a fall/winter type of cookie to me, but Erin and I decided we needed to make a few tweaks to make it into a summertime favorite! We simply added some fresh lemon zest and some lemon oil and BAMM!! Summertime gingersnap cookie perfection.
These cookies are slightly chewy with just the perfect little hint of fresh lemon. And to satisfy the biggest of appetites they’re sandwiched together with some deliciously smooth vanilla buttercream. Really friends…can it get any better? I’m thinking that would be a no! Dare ya to eat just one! I know Erin, Colin and Brendan couldn’t! Love you guys! And thanks Erin for being the perfect assistant in the kitchen! XO Aunt Mare
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar plus a small bowl of some extra for rolling cookies in before baking
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsulphered molasses
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon zest about 1 large lemon
- 1/2 tsp. lemon oil or 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- Vanilla Buttercream:
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small bowl mix together oil, sugar and egg. Beat until fluffy. Stir in molasses, lemon zest and lemon oil.. Set aside.
- In large bowl sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Roll dough into 1 1/2 - 2 inch size balls depending on how big you want sandwiches. Roll the ball into a small bowl of granulated sugar. Place balls on parchment lined baking sheet about 3 inches apart. (cookies will spread so definitely space them out) Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are set and tops are crackled. Cool on baking sheet for 1 minute then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Vanilla Buttercream:
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and the confectioner's sugar with a rubber spatula until pale in color. Add the vanilla and continue to cream until light and fluffy.
- Assembling the cookies:
- When cookies are done cooling, sandwich together with about 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp. buttercream.