This Tuscan Tuna Bean Salad is a refreshing, satisfying salad that’s perfect for those hot summer days!
In a few months we’ll all be complaining about colder weather, I get it. But WOW, this heat has been so unbearable lately! I’m actually dreaming of sweater weather!
I know, I know. I never thought those words would come from this beach girl’s mouth, but Mother Nature has been relentless this summer.
How’s it been by you? Staying cool, or are you melting too??
I don’t know about you guys, but when it’s over the top HOT, sitting down to a big meal just isn’t in the cards for me.
Even going out to the porch to stoke up the grill is NOT going to happen.
I’m all about fresh, cool, hearty salads lately.
Today’s Tuscan Tuna Bean Salad is loaded will a handful of healthy ingredients and tossed in a light dressing. Incredibly simple. It’s just what I’m looking for on a hot summer day.
No need to worry about breaking a sweat while whipping this one up folks. Not gonna happen.
This salad is packed with chickpeas, navy beans, barley, roasted red pepper, a combo of green and Kalamata olives, fresh basil and sun dried tomatoes. Then it’s topped with a generous helping of white albacore tuna to make it more of a meal.
A Few Cook’s Notes for Tuscan Tuna Bean Salad Recipe:
I don’t love my salad swimming in dressing. You can double the dressing ingredients just in case you prefer more. If you don’t use it for this salad, it can be used to dress any side salad.
I used White Albacore tuna, but feel free to substitute your favorite tuna.
Round out the meal with a glass of wine and a piece of crusty bread and your day is done! Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. basil pesto
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red pepper, drained and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup olives, mix of pitted green and Kalamata, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, not packed in oil, julienned
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, julienned
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced thin
- 2 5 oz. cans white Albacore tuna, in water, drained and flaked
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk together until well blended. (Double if you prefer more dressing.) Set aside.
- Bring three cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add one cup pearl barley, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until barley is tender. Drain. Rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled barley, both beans, roasted red peppers, olives, sun dried tomatoes, basil leaves and green onions. Toss well with dressing. Add flaked tuna. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with extra dressing if desired.