The Charleston Fizz is the perfect cocktail for a special celebration! Sweet and refreshing!
As most of you are reading this post I am on my way to a celebration. A celebration four years in the making. We are on our way to Charleston, South Carolina for the College of Charleston Class of 2015 graduation!
For our oldest son Sean, as for any college graduate, this is a celebration to show that all that hard work and dedication has finally paid off. All the hours studying and each time wondering when you sat down for that dreaded test, was it enough? All those papers you wrote and each time wondering, was it good enough? Well, this Saturday morning at ten o’clock am in the Cistern on the College of Charleston campus Sean will have his answer. Yes, it was and yes you did it!!!
Now, it’s time to PAR-TAY! (because I know you have been too busy studying and working over the past four years to do any of that……EH ya right!) And there is no better place to party than in the city of Charleston. The drink I chose to toast Sean on his graduation is none other than the Charleston Fizz. This drink was featured on Saveur.com a few years back and it was the perfect drink for this very special celebration. It was inspired by the sodas at the Cannonborough Beverage Company in Charleston. This refreshing cocktail is made with gin, Ruby Red grapefruit juice, St. Germain which is an elderflower liqueur, a tad bit of simple syrup, a splash of club soda and some fresh tarragon. It’s so refreshing, so delicious and so Charleston!
As a parent this is one of those “big moments”. One of those moments when it’s really tough to put into words how proud you are of your child and their accomplishments. One of those moments when you have to fight back the tears and let them continue their adventure. It seems like it was just yesterday when we dropped Sean off at college as a freshman and had to get back in the car, Kleenex in hand, and leave him there to figure things out and make a go of it on his own. I know it was tougher on us that day than it was on him because he had a smile from ear to ear and was so ready for the next step…just like this next step.
Sean, congratulations on a job well done!! As always, you have made us proud. I love you (three pieces)! Cheers!!
- 3 sprigs of fresh tarragon some extra leaves for garnishing if desired
- 3 oz. Ruby Red grapefruit juice
- 2 oz. gin
- 1/2 oz. St. Germain elderflower liqueur
- 1 oz. simple syrup
- club soda
- grapefruit slices for garnishing if desired
- Muddle the tarragon in a cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker with ice, grapefruit juice, gin, St. Germain and the simple syrup. Shake and strain into a tall glass (Collins glass) filled with ice. Top with club soda, a grapefruit slice and tarragon, if desired.
- To make the simple syrup combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Let cool.
Adapted from Saveur.com