This Spicy Sweet Potato Salad is a mayo-less salad that’s a delicious option for the warmer weather! The sweet and spicy flavors are sure to tickle your taste buds!
Updated: This post was first published here at the BHK in April 2015. I decided it was worthy of a reshare, so I’ve added some new photos and notes to the post below.
There’s just something about potato salad and summer. They just go together, don’t they?
Growing up, we always enjoyed the classic potato salad with mayo. It had red potatoes, egg, celery, red onion and a dressing that was a combination of mayo, mustard, a bit of white vinegar and salt and pepper. It was a favorite for all our summer parties.
I still make the classic version several times a summer, but I also like to offer a mayo-less version for guests, so they have a choice.
I made this Spicy Sweet Potato Salad way back in 2015 here at the BHK and so many people have tried it and commented that it’s a totally tasty change up from the classic. So I decided it was time to re-shoot the photos and re-share.
When I was tossing around ideas for a new potato salad recipe, I immediately thought sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. Then I thought, should I go totally sweet or should I add spicy? I couldn’t decide, so I went both, and the result is…DANG delicious!!
Sweet potatoes, red onion, yellow pepper, apricot preserves, jalapeños and bacon all tossed together make for a summer salad that’s sweet AND spicy, lighter than the classic mayo version and sure to please! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Spicy Sweet Potato Salad Recipe:
I use two on the larger size jalapeños. I chop one with the seeds and ribs in tact and remove the seeds from the other. If you like things on the spicier side, you can use both with the seeds.
Don’t crowd your potatoes on your baking sheet. Depending on the size of your baking sheets, you may need to use two.
- 4 lb. sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 8 strips bacon
- 1 cup red onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapenos, one sliced and finely chopped with seeds, one seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. scallions, sliced
- 2 jalapenos sliced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. In large bowl toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread sweet potatoes on prepared baking sheets in an even layer. Cook until potatoes are fork tender, 20-25 minutes tossing potatoes and rotating trays after 10 minutes. Remove from oven when done and cool on trays to room temperature.
- Saute bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain fat and leave bacon in skillet. Add onion, yellow pepper, and jalapenos and cook 5 minutes until soft and golden brown. Whisk in the apricot preserves and vinegar and simmer until smooth. remove from heat.
- In large bowl toss potatoes with bacon mixture. Transfer to a serving dish. Before serving, top potatoes with scallions and jalapenos. You can serve cold or at room temperature.