These Everything Bagel Cheddar Cheese Crackers are buttery and cheesy and PERFECT for your next cheese board!
Hey guys! How has your week been going? Mine has been good but packed full of stuff. My oldest sister just left on a trip to Hawaii with her family, so I went back up to my mom’s house to keep her company while my sister is away and also to take care of my sister’s dog Rocky. Since my son Casey is busy working his summer job I didn’t want to leave our dog Tucker with him because I thought Tucker would have much more fun with me, my mom and of course little Rocky so I brought him along. I know, I am a glutton for punishment. The good thing is Rocky is so low maintenance. He is the cutest Cavalier King Charles Spaniel! When anyone walks in the door he runs up to greet you lickety-split and then immediately rolls over on his back for you to pet his belly. He is the most mild-mannered dog I’ve ever seen. The two of them have been great together but taking care of mom, two dogs and running this here blog has got my hands full.
While Rocky and Tucker have been keeping each other busy my mom and I have been trying to plan an awesome Father’s Day for my husband Tom. We have brunch down, along with cocktail hour but we are still trying to decide on the main course. It’s a toss-up between steak and veggie kabobs with chimichurri or baked stuffed lobster. Tom is a big fan of both so I may need to drop a hint here or there and see which one will come away the winner.
Brunch will be my Sausage, Red Pepper and Onion Egg Bake and before dinner, cocktail hour will include some of Tom’s favorites…clams casino, aged gouda cheese, marcona almonds, a variety of olives (for me), peppered salami and these delicious Spicy Everything Bagel Cheddar Cheese Crackers. I made these crackers a few weeks ago and Tom LOVED them. When I was a kid my mom used to make these olives wrapped in cheddar cheese dough. They were incredible, if you like olives. Tom doesn’t like olives. So I decided to tweak my mom’s recipe a little and turn it into something Tom would love and BINGO!! Tom can’t get enough of these things! I added the everything topping because, well come on it’s everything topping! It’s all the flavors from your favorite morning bagel on top of this delish little cheesy cracker. So instead of serving the regular store-bought box crackers add these to your cocktail hour cheese tray. Come on, Dad is worth it!
I hope all you Dads out there enjoy your Father’s Day weekend! Relax and enjoy your day!
- 1 10 oz. block sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter one stick, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp. half and half
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. water
- Everything Topping:
- 2 Tbsp. dried chopped onion toasted
- 1 Tbsp. pretzel salt or coarse salt
- 1 Tbsp. black sesame seed I got mine at Williams-Sonoma
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds regular
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- Place the dried chopped onion on a parchment lined baking sheet and toast in the oven for 3 minutes. Keep a close eye on the onion because it tends to burn rather quickly. You want it to be a nice golden brown. Cool, then place in a small bowl. Add next 4 topping ingredients and stir together. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cheese, flour, butter and cayenne pepper. Using a pastry cutter mix together ingredients until they resemble coarse crumbs. Add the half and half and mix until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into 2 workable batches. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface and cut. (I used a 1 1/2 inch fluted square cookie cutter) Place on prepared sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Whisk together egg and water. Brush tops of crackers with egg mixture and sprinkle with everything topping mixture. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining dough.