These Orange Brown Butter Roasted Carrots with Sage will be the perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving table!
Well friends, it’s about that time of year when we all start thinking about what dishes will grace our Thanksgiving tables. Are you there yet, or are you a procrastinator? If you’re a procrastinator, over the next few weeks I’ll be sprinkling in some dishes to help make your Thanksgiving delicious and stress-free!
I’ll be sharing some quick and easy family favorites like today’s Orange Brown Butter Roasted Carrots with Sage. This recipe is simple and happens to be one of my favorite Thanksgiving sides, only to be topped by my horseradish cauliflower au gratin . Lately, I’ve been on a brown butter kick. That nutty, rich flavor is irresistible. In this recipe the brown butter is mixed with some brown sugar, fresh squeezed orange juice and sage which puts these carrots on the must-have list for my Thanksgiving menu! These carrots are the perfect combination of sweet and savory. They’ll be a wonderful addition to your Thanksgiving table.
Today, I’m keeping it short and sweet folks. I’m just getting ready to board a plane to warm and sunny Florida to visit my mom. I hope to be cooking up some special things in her kitchen while I’m there. If you’re a regular follower of the blog, you know I got my love of cooking from my mom. She doesn’t cook as much as she used to, so now it’s my turn to cook for her. It’s not going to be all work in the kitchen though. I’m also looking forward to a little rest and relaxation in the Florida sun! I hope you all have a great weekend. See you back at the BHK on Monday!
- 1 bunch young carrots
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 Tbsp. (half stick) butter
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 orange, halved and squeezed
- 4-5 sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cut off tops of carrots leaving 1 inch. Rinse and clean carrots, then dry with a paper towel.
- Place carrots on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat the carrots.
- Bake for 30 minutes until fork tender.
- While carrots are baking, melt the butter in a small pot over medium-low heat.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until the butter gives off a nutty aroma and begins to brown.
- Watch carefully, because it can go from brown to burnt rather quickly.
- Add the brown sugar, fresh squeezed orange juice and the sage leaves.
- Continue to cook for 3 minutes until mixture is thicker in consistency.
- Remove carrots from oven, plate and drizzle with orange brown butter.
Adapted from Tyler Florence’s Real Kitchen