These Mini Stuffed Turkey Meatloaves are comfort food at its finest AND healthiest!
I’m all about comfort food lately. I don’t know about you guys, but when I think comfort food I usually associate it with LOTS of calories. But today, I’m changin’ it up! I’m bringing you comfort food that’s delicious AND good for you! Classic meatloaf is usually made with fatty cuts of meat, but these Mini Stuffed Turkey Meatloaves are made with ground turkey which contains less saturated fat and cholesterol. We can all enjoy these and keep our resolutions to eat healthy and stay in shape!
Meatloaf and mashed potatoes have always been at the tippy top of the comfort food list at our house. It’s not a fancy meal, but it’s always so flavorful and hearty. I wanted to create a healthier version that we would still love, but not have to compromise on any of the flavor. I’ve packed these mini meatloaves with onions, garlic, spinach, roasted peppers and fresh mozzarella. I’ve also added Italian seasoning, tomato sauce, grated parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs which boosts the flavor of these beauties to make them simply savory and delicious.
This recipe makes 8 mini meatloaves. You can also use a large muffin tin or a 9×5 inch loaf pan to make one large meat loaf. If you make the mini meatloaves you will cook them at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 170 degrees. If you make a large meatloaf you will need to cook it a little longer, approximately 50-55 minutes. Either way you layer some of the turkey meat mixture at the bottom, followed by a few spinach leaves, roasted peppers, fresh mozzarella slices, and top with more of the turkey meat mixture. I finish it off with some extra tomato sauce, a sprinkle of panko bread crumbs and parsley.
These Mini Stuffed Turkey Meatloaves are comfort food at its finest AND healthiest! Enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning I use Mrs. Dash Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley plus extra for top of meatloaves
- 4 Tbsp. tomato sauce plus extra for top of meatloaves
- 1 cup Italian panko bread crumbs plus extra for top of meatloaves
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 lb. ground turkey
- 2 cups baby spinach packed
- 1 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers cut into strips
- 10 oz. fresh mozzarella sliced then halved
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray mini loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place mini loaf pan on baking sheet. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in parsley and tomato sauce. remove from heat and let cool.
- In large bowl, combine bread crumbs and milk and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in grated parmesan cheese, egg, egg white, cooled vegetables and turkey meat.
- Mix well with your hands.
- In each loaf well place some of the turkey mixture, followed by a few spinach leaves, roasted pepper strips, fresh mozzarella slices then top with more of the turkey mixture.
- Top each mini meatloaf with a tablespoon of tomato sauce, a sprinkle of panko bread crumbs and parsley.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until internal temperature registers 170 degrees.