Super moist and double chocolatey, these Jumbo Chocolate Espresso Muffins are your new morning pick-me-up! They’re incredibly easy to make and super-sized! A TOTAL breakfast treat!
Sometimes my mornings need an additional boost that my simple cup of joe simply can’t provide. How bout you guys??
That’s when I whip up a batch of these Jumbo Chocolate Espresso Muffins.
SOOOOOO dark and chocolatey with that little hint of espresso I just love!
My good friend Maria made some black cocoa powder brownies that she just raved about, so I knew I needed to give black cocoa a try.
I used King Arthur Flour’s Black Cocoa and as you can see, they’re darker than dark and the flavor is just fabulous! It has an intense chocolate flavor and color, but it’s not bitter so don’t worry.
Jumbo Chocolate Espresso Muffins Ingredients
- all-purpose flour
- black cocoa powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- granulated sugar
- light brown sugar
- baking powder
- espresso powder
- ground cinnamon
- vegetable oil
- mini chocolate chips
How to Make Jumbo Chocolate Espresso Muffins
These muffins are SUPER easy to make. First you’ll combine your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then you’ll mix your milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla in another bowl until blended. You’ll make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and then add in the milk mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.
You will fold in your chips, spoon into your muffin cups (this is the jumbo muffin pan I have by Wilton) and bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees and then lower the oven temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out with just a crumb or two. I always use Sally’s tip from Sally’s Baking Addiction to bake the muffins at a high time for a few minutes first so they get that fabulous domed top!
I just know you guys are going to love these. They’re super moist and fluffy and they’re perfect for a little weekend baking project and they freeze wonderfully too!
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Jumbo Chocolate Espresso Muffins
I used King Arthur Flour’s Black Cocoa to give these muffins an intense dark color and chocolate flavor. Regular unsweetened cocoa powder also works fine.
This recipe will make 6 jumbo-sized muffins. If you don’t have a jumbo muffin pan you can also make these into regular-sized muffins. It will make 12 muffins and you baking time will be 425 degrees for five minutes and then reduce your oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for an additional 13 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out with just a crumb or two.
More Delicious Muffin Recipes to Enjoy
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup black cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 6 jumbo sized muffin cups with liners or spray with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, black cocoa powder, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, espresso powder, cinnamon and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract until well blended. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and mix in the milk mixture until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining chips.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350 and continue to bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tester inserted in one of the muffins comes out with only a crumb or two. Remove from the oven to a wire rack and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.