Roast Chicken is a classic recipe that never fails to impress. It’s easy to prepare and it’s got something for everyone with both white and dark meat. This Honey Mustard Roast Chicken version is crispy on the outside, tender, slightly tangy and sweet.
With less than one week to the big day, I decided to share this Honey Mustard Roast Chicken for the folks in the crowd who are still unsure of what to serve for their holiday dinner.
Can you ever really go wrong with a roast chicken? I think not. Bet Ina and Jeffrey would also agree.
This Honey Mustard Roast Chicken is easy to prepare, crispy on the outside, tender, juicy and slightly sweet and tangy.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
A roast chicken is a classic recipe that never goes out of style.
Serving a roast chicken covers all the bases. Like dark meat? You’re covered. Only enjoy white meat? Also covered.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- poultry seasoning
- kosher salt and pepper
- whole roasting chicken
- yellow onions
- mini yellow creamer potatoes
Keep an eye on your chicken as it roasts. If it appears to be browning too much, tent it loosely with foil. The cooking time will really depend on the size of your bird, so if your bird doesn’t have its own internal temp gauge check with a meat thermometer and when it registers 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the chicken.
The first step will be to combine the ingredients for your marinade and whisk together until they’re well combined.
You’ll remove your chicken from the packaging, remove the giblets and rinse the inside and out and then pat dry before adding your bird to a large Ziploc bag and tossing with all but 1/3 cup of the marinade.
The chicken will need to marinate for at least 2 hours.
You will remove the chicken from the fridge and let it stand at room temp while you prep your veggies with some olive oil and kosher salt and pepper. You’ll add everything to your roasting pan and roast for the first 15 minutes at 450 degrees F and then continue roasting at 350 degrees F for another hour and 15 minutes or until your chicken has an internal temp of 165 degrees F.
This is one classic meal that never disappoints. And the honey mustard marinade flavor is something just a bit different from the usual. Grab your roasting pan and get cookin’ folks!
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Honey Mustard Roast Chicken
The size chicken I used for this recipe was 5 pounds. It was a Wholesome Pantry Whole Roasting Chicken from ShopRite.
I also used mini yellow creamer potatoes from Wholesome Pantry at ShopRite. You could substitute any mini potatoes that you enjoy.
If your chicken does not have a pop-up temperature gauge to let you know when it is done, use a meat thermometer to check for an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
More Delicious Holiday Dinner Recipes to Enjoy
Honey Mustard Roast ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/2 cup honey, I use ShopRite Wholesome Pantry Pure Organic Honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil, I use ShopRite Bowl&Basket Light Tasting Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 5-6 lb. whole roasting chicken, I use ShopRite Wholesome Pantry Roasting Chicken
- 2 medium yellow onions, quartered
- 6 carrots, cut roughly into 3-inch chunks
- 1 lb. mini yellow creamer potatoes, I use ShopRite Bowl&Basket
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all marinade ingredients and whisk together.
- Remove chicken from packaging. Remove the chicken giblets and rinse inside and out and pat dry. Add 2 tbsp. of marinade to cavity of chicken. Tie the legs together and the wings to the body and place the bird in a large Ziploc bag. Add all but1/3 cup of the marinade to the bag, seal and toss the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 2 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove the chicken from the fridge and let stand at room temp for 15 minutes. Toss the onions, carrots and potatoes with the olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Add the veggies to your roasting pan in a single layer. Remove the chicken from the Ziploc and place on top of the veggies.
- Roast uncovered for 15 minutes at 450 degrees F and then lower heat to 350 degrees. Continue to cook for another 1 hour 15 minutes or until juices run clear and the internal temp is 165 degrees F, basting every 30 minutes with the reserved marinade.If the skin is getting too brown you can tent the chicken with a piece of foil. Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.