This French Onion Pasta is a comforting dish that’s perfect for those cold wintry nights ahead!
Only a few more sleeps til Christmas Day! Are you ready??
Keeping it short today folks because there’s still lots to be done, but I just couldn’t sit on this French Onion Pasta recipe until next year. It just wouldn’t be fair. I want you guys to be able to spend the week between Christmas and New Years just like I do…cozied up in my comfy clothes and fuzzy slippers binge watching my latest favorite series on Netflix, enjoying some delicious leftover cookies from the holiday cookie tin, and indulging in some fabulous comfort food like this French Onion Pasta. We all know what’s gonna hit the fan at the gym in January, so let’s go out with a BANG shall we?!
This is one of those dishes that’s destined to become a family favorite. I mean really…#1 who doesn’t like French onion soup? And #2 who doesn’t like mac n’ cheese? So combine the two into a cozy, comforting pasta dish? Hello new favorite pasta bake!
Loads of caramelized onions, handfuls of melty swiss cheese in a smooth, delicious sauce with a hint of sherry. If you’re a die hard French onion soup fan, this dish is for you! Enjoy!
I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy and healthy New Year! Thank you for making this year at The Beach House Kitchen a spectacular one! Your comments and photos of recipes you’ve tried and enjoyed have made running my little piece of the food blogosphere my total dream job!! Lots of love and peace in 2018!! Mary Ann
French Onion PastaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 lb. uncooked penne pasta
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 cups yellow onion sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices then halved
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cups swiss cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- Garnish: extra grated parmesan cheese
- Pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente according to package directions. Drain and set aside,
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add 8 tablespoons butter to a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in onions, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium, add sugar and garlic and continue to cook for 10 more minutes
- Add sherry and cook for 3 minutes or until just evaporated.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Slowly add beef broth and thyme leaves and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower heat and let mixture simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Mix in penne , 2 cups of the shredded swiss cheese and the parmesan cheese. Add to the prepared dish. Top with the remaining one cup shredded swiss. Sprinkle with panko crumbs and one or two tablespoons extra freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned and bubbly.
Join the Conversation