This Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon will warm you to the bone. It’s rich and creamy, simple to make and on your table in just about 30 minutes!
Word on the street is that some areas got slammed with snow!
I got a few pics from friends back in New Jersey and it looks like a winter wonderland. I heard the kids even got two snow days right after the New Year’s holiday. Way to go Mother Nature with the long extended weekend!
Super Easy Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon
I know we’re supposed to be all about healthy in January, so let’s just say this Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon is healthy-ish ok? I couldn’t help myself, I had to add the cheese and just a smidge of cream. And the bacon? Well, it’s optional…but highly recommended.
I mean there are 24 ounces of cauliflower in this soup, so that counts for something right? And Mr. Picky isn’t indulging, because, well, cauliflower, so then we know it must be somewhat healthy right?
I did trick him that one time when I made my Buffalo Cauliflower Soup. I just called it buffalo soup and he fell for it (I think he was thinking buffalo chicken) and said it was delicious, until I confessed it was buffalo CAULIFLOWER. Then he put his spoon down, rolled his eyed and stepped away from the table. I know. Seriously, not the behavior of a 50-something-year-old, am I right? I’ve had my work cut out for me over the years folks.
Chilly temps and snowstorms call for soup at our house. Maybe some fresh baked bread to go along with it too… even though it’s January. (SMH)
One of the things I love about this soup is that it comes together quickly. I usually just grab the large bag of cauliflower florets from my local market so I don’t have to cut my cauliflower into florets myself. I know it’s not really a big deal, but when I’m rushed for time, it’s worth it.
You also won’t have to cut your onion and celery into small pieces because you’ll be pureeing the soup in your blender at the end before adding your cheese and bit of cream.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon Ingredients
- unsalted butter
- yellow onion
- kosher salt and pepper
- all-purpose flour
- sharp white cheddar cheese
- chicken stock
- heavy cream
Hoping you guys give this recipe a try. It’s a comforting soup that’s just perfect for soup season this year. If you do give the recipe a go, please let me know if you enjoyed it. And if you have any questions about the recipe just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon
As mentioned, the bacon is a topping and it’s optional. But really…should this even be optional??
Honestly, the cheese could also be optional if you want a super healthy soup. But then the recipe would just be called Cauliflower Soup and that doesn’t sound nearly as good! Lol!
You’ll be pureeing the soup in batches in your blender, so no need to chop up the onion and celery really small. Just a rough chop will be fine.
Don’t overfill your blender when pureeing. You don’t want hot soup exploding on you or all over your kitchen.
More Delicious Soup Recipes to Enjoy
- 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts unsalted chicken stock
- 24 oz. cauliflower florets, roughly chopped
- 8 oz. freshly grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, for topping, if desired
- 2 Tbsp. chives, chopped
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme leaves, salt and pepper and continue to cook for one minute.
- Stir in the flour to form a roux, cooking for one minute and stirring constantly. Increase the heat to high and slowly stir in the stock. Bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower and reduce the heat to medium. Continue to cook for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the soup in small batches to a blender to puree until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and cook over medium heat. Add the cheese and cream and continue to cook until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with bacon and chives.