These Classic Sprinkled Sugar Cookies will become your go-to sugar cookie recipe! They’re easy, moist and delicious!
2 days until Halloween! I don’t know about you guys, but I LOVE Halloween!! I love decorating the house, carving the pumpkins, toasting the pumpkin seeds and especially giving out the candy on Halloween night! I love seeing all the kids in their costumes. I can remember the days I used to go out trick or treating when I was a kid with all my sisters and our friends! So much fun! I hated when I got “too old” to go out myself. Like who makes that rule?? A fun-sucker for sure!!
We don’t get tons of trick or treaters in our neighborhood, but I always make sure I have more than enough candy just in case. When it gets late, and I think most of the trick or treaters are done, I start giving out way more candy per kid, because I honestly don’t want to be left with a whole bucket of candy! No really, HONEST! That just spells trouble! I think the kids from across the street are on to my plan, because they are always the last kids to come to my door. They usually get the rest of the bucket! First they say, “oh no, we couldn’t Mrs. D” and then I say, “no, really, you’ll be saving me from eating the whole bucket myself over the next few weeks (days, whatever!)”. They say their thank yous and then start running before they think I’ll change my mind!
So since I will not be gorging on any Halloween candy, I decided to make my favorite Classic Sugar Cookie with Halloween Sprinkles to “treat” myself while I’m giving out the candy. I think you are going to really like these friends. They’re just as good as all that candy! This is my go-to sugar cookie recipe. My son Sean, who does not like chocolate, gives this recipe the double thumbs up. When I first started making sugar cookies, I would only add vanilla extract, but now I always add vanilla and a little almond extract too. It makes such a difference. This recipe only requires an hour chilling time, so no there’s no waiting around forever for the dough to chill. You can make them whatever size you like. I usually use a tablespoonful of dough for each cookie. If you like your sugar cookies soft you just need to bake them for about 8 minutes. If you like them crispy, add about 3 minutes or until you see the edges begin to brown.
Hope you all enjoy your Halloween! Have a great weekend and see you back at the BHK on Monday!
Classic Sprinkled Sugar CookiesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus extra for flattening cookies
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 cup sprinkles
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg ,vegetable oil, vanilla and almond extracts and mix on low until well blended.
- Add confectioners sugar, flour, baking soda and cream of tartar.
- Continue to stir until well blended.
- Cover dough with wax paper and chill in refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop a tablespoonful of dough into a ball, roll in a shallow bowl full of sprinkles.
- Flatten cookie gently with the bottom of a glass dipped in bowl filled with some granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes for softer cookies and 11 minutes for crispier cookies.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
Join the Conversation