These Chocolate Espresso Banana Muffins are truly a decadent breakfast treat! They’re perfect with your morning coffee or tea!
Hi guys! How’s everyone’s week going? It’s been a scorcher here just as predicted, but I’ve been staying well hydrated with my yummy fruit infused waters! I hope you’ve tried ’em because they’re the perfect thirst quencher if I do say so myself!
Y’all have any big plans for the upcoming weekend? Anything fun in the works? I’ve got lots going on! I’m heading down to my mom’s house at the beach today to spend some time with my sister and her family who are in visiting from St. Louis. My niece Erin and I are going to bake up a little treat that I’ll be sharing with you on the blog sometime soon and I’ll be teaching my nephew Brendan, who loves photography, a few things about food photography. From there, I’ll be heading down to my house because Tom and I have friends joining us at the beach for the weekend.
If you’re a regular follower of the blog, you know I’m a planner. When company’s coming, I like to make sure all the grocery shopping is done before everyone arrives and that all meals are planned out from soup to nuts. I don’t really worry about lunches because most of the time during the weekend we are out on the boat or at the beach and we just grab something quick, but breakfast and dinner are usually served at home.
I’m so excited because this weekend I’ll be baking an absolutely decadent little treat to serve with our morning coffee. I saw the recipe for these Chocolate Espresso Banana Muffins in one of my favorite magazines, bake FROM SCRATCH and I immediately fell in love. I knew by the list of ingredients that they were destined to become a favorite. Bananas, chocolate and espresso powder…what’s not to love?? They’re incredibly moist and have a rich, deep chocolate flavor. They were in their Winter 2016 issue in a feature called Muffin Magic. They’ve got Strawberry-Balsamic Muffins, Blueberry-Cornmeal Muffins with Thyme Glaze and Matcha-Almond Muffins with Black Sesame Streusel to name a few. I’m working my way through the list friends and enjoying every minute of it!
I followed the ingredient list to the T, but instead of using a jumbo muffin pan, I used my standard muffin pan. If you use the jumbo pan, you’ll get 8 muffins. With the standard pan I got 18 muffins. Make sure your bananas are overripe and when you’re adding your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients don’t over mix. Stir just until moistened.
These muffins are perfect served warm with your morning coffee or tea. You’ll need to grab one quick because it’s amazing how they’ll disappear before your very eyes! Enjoy friends and have a lovely weekend!
Chocolate Espresso Banana MuffinsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. espresso powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh nutmeg
- 3 overripe bananas 1 1/2 cups
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18 standard muffins cups with paper liners or coat with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and espresso powder in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in center of mixture.
- Whisk together bananas, eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, molasses and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add to the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Scoop 1 1/2 cups of the batter into another medium bowl and stir in the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon banana batter into the prepared cups, filling 2/3 full. Make a small well with the back of a spoon in the middle of each cup. Spoon in some of the chocolate batter, then swirl with wooden pick.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes or until pick comes out clean when inserted in center of muffin.
- Cool for 5 minutes in pan, then remove to wire racks. Serve warm or at room temp.
Recipe adapted from bake FROM SCRATCH Banana Chocolate Espresso Swirl Muffins
Join the Conversation