This Chicken Salad with Peppadews and Olives is tangy and flavorful! Delicious for sandwiches, in lettuce cups or on its own!
Hi guys. I’ll let you in on a little secret about myself.
I don’t like change. Like at all.
When it comes to food, I’m always open to try new things, but to actually defer from tried and true recipes to something totally out of the box takes a lot.
I’ve been making and enjoying the same homemade chicken salad for years. It’s a staple for girls weekend when I’m hosting. All my girlfriends LOVE it.
It’s a classic. White meat chicken, onion, celery, a bit of mayo and fresh tarragon. It’s simple, yet totally delicious.
So when I received a copy of Teri Turner’s new cookbook, no crumbs left, Recipes for Everyday Food Made Marvelous and spotted her recipe for Teri’s Favorite Chicken Salad, to say the least, I was intrigued.
I went through the list of ingredients and WOW, I could already taste it. White meat chicken, peppadews (my favorite), olives, celery, onion, chives all tossed with a bit of mayo that’s combined with the brine from the peppadews.
Holy Moly! It’s perfect served on bread as a sandwich, in lettuce cups or on its own.
Teri says the secret to the recipe is blending the peppadew peppers with some of their brine along with some mayo to create a “magic elixir” and I couldn’t agree more. Such flavor and something so out of the box, I wish I’d thought of it!
And if you’re not familiar with Teri Turner, you need to be. She’s the creator of the food and lifestyle blog No Crumbs Left. Her passion for cooking is infectious and her recipes, most of which are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and Whole30 Compliant are simple and incredibly delish!
Change is good friends! Enjoy!
I’m so excited about Teri’s new book that I’ve joined my friends at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt to give away a copy to one lucky winner! The giveaway starts today, June 3rd and will run through Friday, June 7th. Just leave a comment below to enter. I will annouce the winner on my IG Stories on Saturday, June 8th. Good luck!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Chicken Salad with Peppadews and Olives Recipe:
I used a high-quality mayo for this recipe, but to make it Whole30, use a Whole30 mayo.
You can find peppadews in a jar or at your local market at the salad bar area. If you grab the peppadews from the salad bar, don’t forget to add some of the brine to make the sauce.
Chicken Salad with Peppadews and OlivesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise, high quality, or Whole 30 Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup whole peppadews, plus 1/4 cup brine
To Assemble Salad
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Cerignola olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup peppadew peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
- bread for sandwiches, crackers, tortilla chips, lettuce cups for serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Coat chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on prepared sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and baste with juices. Return to oven and continue to bake for 5-10 more minutes, until chicken is cooked through and skin is browed and crispy. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a blender, combine mayo, whole peppadews and brine and blend until well combined. Set mixture aside.
Assembling the Salad
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and set aside. Pull meat off the bones, discarding red pieces, cartilage and any imperfections. Roughly chop crispiest bits of skin and reserve for croutons for the top of the salad. Measure 3 cups of the chicken, reserving the rest for another recipe.
- Divide the 3 cups of chicken into 2 groups: perfectly moist pieces in one, and dry not perfect pieces in another. Roughly chop the perfect pieces and add to a bowl. Add drier pieces to food processor and pulse for 5 seconds. Add pulsed chicken to chicken in bowl.
- Add the celery, olives, chopped peppadews, onion, chives, salt and pepper and granulated garlic to the bowl, tossing to combine. Top with 3/4 of the sauce and toss well. Add more sauce, if desired. Top with crispy skin pieces.
- Serve with bread, lettuce cups, crackers or chips.
Join the Conversation