These Cauliflower Steaks with Peri-Peri Sauce are SUPER amped-up in flavor! Perfect as your main meal or as a side!
Hiya folks! After Monday’s decadent and delicious Double Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes, I thought something light and healthy was in order.
So today, I’m taking your ordinary old cauliflower steaks to the next level of awesomeness! These Cauliflower Steaks with Peri-Peri Sauce are my new favorite lunch/dinner. And if you like things hot and spicy, you’re going to LOVE ’em too.
So…What is Peri-Peri Sauce?
It’s a spicy African sauce made with Bird’s Eye Chilies, red peppers, onion, lemon juice and zest, and garlic.
I first saw the recipe for peri-peri sauce on my good friend Alida’s blog, Simply-Delicious. I knew I had to try it. I’ve used this sauce on grilled chicken, steak and even drizzled over my scrambled eggs. So when I whipped up my last batch of cauli steaks, I thought…hmmm…gotta spice these up with some peri-peri sauce.
I halved Alida’s recipe, and still have some extra in my fridge which will keep for two weeks…if it lasts that long. Already eyeing it up for tomorrow morning’s breakfast.
I’m not gonna lie, South African bird’s eye chilies are not common in these parts, but Alida says Thai chilies, or any long, small red chilies will work. I chose Red Fresno chili peppers. I used four chili peppers in mine, each about 2 inches long. My sauce definitely packed some heat! If you like things a bit milder, when adding everything to your processor or blender, start with 2, taste test, and then add another 1 or 2 if you want to amp-up the spice.
While the cauliflower steaks are in the oven roasting you can make your sauce, so from start to finish these will take under 35 minutes! Just top your cauli steak with some sauce, microgreens and a sprinkle of pine nuts. Perfect for a a healthier lunch, dinner or #Meatless Monday…or any other day of the week. Enjoy!
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 Red Fresno Chilies stems removed
- 1 Red Bell Pepper,
- 1 large ripe tomato, skins removed and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large lemon, zest and juiced
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees . Remove leaves from stem of cauliflower. Leave the core intact. Place cauliflower core side down and using a large knife, slice cauliflower into four 1/2 inch steaks from the center of cauliflower. Arrange the cauliflower steaks on a oiled baking sheet with any broken florets.
- Brush the cauliflower slices generously on both sides with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then roast in oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden and cooked through. You can flip the steaks halfway through cooking.
- When the cauliflower steaks are done, remove from oven and transfer onto individual serving plates. Top each steak with some peri-peri sauce, micro greens, and a sprinkle of pine nuts. Serve with extra sauce on the side.
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender or a food processor and process until all the ingredients are finely chopped and the mixture becomes a sauce.
- Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often. Adjust seasonings if needed. Pour into jars and keep in refrigerator for up to two weeks.