This super simple Beef and Quinoa Enchilada Skillet is high on flavor, low on effort, and sure to become a weeknight family favorite!
Helllloooo friends and Happy Monday! Did y’all enjoy the Super Bowl?
As I’m writing this, it’s almost the end of the second quarter and the Falcons are up 14-zip. Say what?! I definitely would not have pegged that one. I actually don’t have a favorite this year, so it could go either way and I’d be fine. On the one hand, it would be nice if Tom Brady and the Pats won because he’d be the first quarterback to win five Super Bowls. But on the other hand if Matt Ryan and the Falcons won that would be great too because he went to Penn Charter, one of our local high schools. As long as the game’s competitive, I’m good.
This year Tom and I decided to lay low and watch the game at home with our neighbor David. Just a quiet, relaxing little party. We’re enjoying some cocktails, delicious appys, dinner and of course a decadent little dessert. The big halftime show is coming up, so today’s post is going to be short and sweet.
This Beef and Quinoa Enchilada Skillet is an easy weekly favorite at the BHK. If you don’t count cooking up the quinoa, this is technically a one skillet meal. Woohoo! Who doesn’t like a one skillet meal when your week is crazy busy, the kids have tons of homework to do and no one wants to help with cleanup?!
And this skillet is not only packed with flavor, but it’s full of protein. It’s a delicious combo of quinoa (my favorite grain), ground beef, black beans, corn, tomatoes, enchilada sauce and just enough cheddar jack to make it your new favorite easy peasy, cheesy, technically one dish wonder! Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion (about 1/3 cup), finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 10oz. can mild enchilada sauce (I use Old El Paso)
- 1 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 8.75 oz. can yellow whole kernel corn
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped for garnish if desired
- chopped tomatoes for garnish, if desired
- Fill a small pot with 1 cup water and cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and onions and cook for 8-10 minutes crumbling beef until no longer pink. Drain fat and return to burner.
- Add quinoa, garlic, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, black beans, corn, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper until well combined. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until cheese melts, about 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and chopped tomatoes and serve.