I’m sooo excited for this weekend guys! This Saturday, Tom and I have a special wedding to go to. My good friends Jackie and Fernando’s oldest daughter is getting married! Jackie and I went to college together, and it just doesn’t seem possible that we now have “kids” who are old enough to get married! I feel like it was just yesterday when they were all born! Where did the time go?
The wedding is down the beach and all my college girlfriends and their husbands will be in attendance. These girls, (Jackie, Boo, Annie, Lori, Mi, Shirley, Didi and Val) are like sisters to me. Our college days together were epic. We still manage to get together a few times a year, but this is the first time in quite a while that all the husband’s will be joining the party! It’s going to be a blast!
So, today I’m keeping it short because I’ve got a few girlfriends and husbands staying at my house at the beach, so some cleaning and cooking is in order! I’ve already whipped up a huge batch of my espresso caramels because they’re my college roommate Lori’s favorite, some of my special chicken salad for my friends Mi and Didi and some of these delicious Cherry Vanilla Scones with White Chocolate Drizzle for breakfast Saturday morning for everyone.
By now you must know my love for scones! They’re the perfect little breakfast treat, and when I saw the beautiful cherries at my local market these scones were the first thing that came to mind! They’re loaded with big, juicy cherries, a hint of vanilla and drizzled in just enough white chocolate to make this breakfast treat a tad decadent.
Enjoy friends! Have a wonderful weekend! Congrats Jackie and Mason!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream plus 2 tablespoons for brushing tops
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- 4 oz. white chocolate, chopped for drizzling (I use Ghirardelli White Chocolate Baking Bars)
- 1 tsp. Crisco shortening
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk together.
- Add the butter and mix on low speed until mixture resembles pea sized crumbs.
- Slowly add the heavy cream and egg to mixture.
- Mix just until the dough forms a thick clump.
- Gently fold in the cherries until well distributed.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface.
- Pat the dough into an 8 inch round.
- Cut into 8 wedges and place on the prepared sheet.
- Place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and brush tops with the extra heavy cream and sprinkle with some turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 18 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- While scones are cooling, prepare chocolate drizzle. Place white chocolate in microwave safe bowl with Crisco shortening. Microwave on 50% power for 45 seconds. Stir. Repeat until chocolate is soft and shortening is melted. Drizzle over scones.
- Scones are best on the day they are made, but will keep in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
Slightly adapted from Pinch of Yum’s Bakery Style Blueberry Scones