This Zesty Chicken Cacciatore is the perfect Italian one skillet meal! It’s an easy recipe that’s perfect for family dinner!
I think in a previous life I must have been Italian. Serve me an Italian dish and I’ll be your best friend for life. I think I put on five pounds just from the aromas coming from my kitchen when I’m cooking anything Italian!
The first main dish I ever prepared on my own growing up was this Chicken Cacciatore. I think I was probably 12 or 13 years old, and when I served it to my dad, as usual, he said it was the best thing he ever ate. I totally agreed with him on this one. This chicken cacciatore is dee-lish! When I have cooked this dish with the windows open during the summer, I actually have had neighbors ask me what’s cooking in my kitchen. I kid you not!! You’ll see what I mean if you give this one a go. The aroma coming from that skillet on your stove is going to have you counting the minutes til dinner.
This recipe was from a very old cookbook in my mother’s cookbook collection. When I graduated from college, and moved away from home this was one recipe I was sure to grab! My mom wrote it down on a recipe card for me, which is now worn and stained with sauce, and there is no other recipe I have ever used for chicken cacciatore. I know the recipe by heart since I have made it so many times, but each time I get ready to make it that card comes out of my recipe box and sits on the counter while I’m preparing it, just like it’s the first time I made it for my dad.
I love this recipe because #1 it’s easy, #2 it’s loaded with fresh garlic, green peppers, onions and mushrooms, and #3 it’s deliciously zesty! I use dark meat for this recipe because it always turns out so juicy and tender. I like to serve mine over some spaghetti or penne. I often times just enjoy a piece of the chicken with an extra ladle full of the sauce with all those yummy vegetables in a bowl served with a nice crusty bread to sop up the sauce. Paired with a salad and a nice glass of wine, it’s just perfect! Mangia, mangia friends!!
- 3 lb. mix of chicken thighs and legs I use parts with skin on
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large green pepper julienned and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion sliced and quartered
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels.
- In shallow bowl combine flour, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. Brown chicken on both sides for about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place on paper towel lined plate.
- Drain excess fat from skillet. Return chicken to skillet.
- Add green pepper, onion and mushrooms.
- Mix together garlic, tomato sauce, water, oregano and thyme. Pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and simmer on medium-low for 45 minutes until chicken is tender and no longer pink inside, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.