The Signature Beach House Surf ‘n Turf Burger is the ultimate burger! A juicy burger topped with shrimp salad is unusual, but so delicious!
Today, I’m whipping us up one of my favorite summer burgers. The Signature Beach House Surf ‘n Turf Burger!
Two more days and it’s already August! Can you believe it? I hope you all have been having a fun summer! Have you crossed anything off your summer bucket list? You only have a few more weeks to do it, so if you haven’t yet you better get to it!
You can always tell when summer is winding down by the dreaded back to school commercials that start popping up on television. I think I have always hated back to school time more than my boys. I love the fun, carefree days of summer and always enjoyed every day spent with Sean and Casey and all the neighborhood kids when they were little. Movie nights at the beach, crabbing, swimming, fishing, kayaking, boating! We always crammed in every bit of fun we possibly could.
Most of those back to school commercials just put me in a melancholy mood but I do remember when my boys were young there was this one hilarious back to school commercial by Staples. One night around mid-August when we were all watching TV that commercial came on and honestly I could not stop laughing!! Have you ever seen it? The dad in the commercial is dancing through the aisles in the Staples store tossing back to school items in the cart and in the background the Christmas song, “It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” is playing. The kids are walking behind their dad with their heads hanging low looking like doomsday is coming! It was hysterical!
Well, at least I thought so. I remember looking over at my son Sean’s face after the commercial was over. Oh that face! It would have broken your heart. Mr. Serious looked over at me and said, “Mom, did you really like that commercial? I mean really?? I don’t think that’s funny at all.” He was totally serious. He was about 7 or 8 years old and the thought that parents were excited for their kids to go back to school was just wrong to him. So wrong. I had to explain that no, I really hated back to school time but the concept of the commercial, the song, the dancing dad…it was just funny. I couldn’t help myself. He forgave me and I made sure I never laughed at that commercial again, at least when Sean was in the room!
So today I am sharing an awesome summer burger, the Signature Beach House Surf ‘n Turf Burger, so we can keep summer going! Summer just wouldn’t be summer without big, juicy burgers! And this one is big, juicy AND loaded with flavor! It’s a mouth-watering burger topped with cheddar cheese, a gorgeous slice of summer beefsteak tomato, lettuce and my all time favorite summer shrimp salad. It’s the ultimate surf and turf burger! I have been making this shrimp salad for so many years I can’t even count. It has a hint of tarragon, lemon, and some Old Bay to spice it up. It’s dee-lish! It makes the burger!
So guys, with the weekend coming up it’s the perfect time to get things crossed off that summer bucket list if you’ve got one! It’s also the perfect time to whip up this Signature Beach House Burger! Enjoy! See you next week!
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef I use 85% lean
- 1 Tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 lb. cooked shrimp shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh tarragon finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp. mayo
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- the juice of 1/2 a lemon
- To prepare the burger patties, divide the beef into 4 equal size portions. Shape into 1/2 inch thick patties. Do not overwork the beef or your burger will be dense and dry.
- Press your thumb into the center of each patty, leaving an indent the size of a nickel. This will help the patty hold its shape. (Tip from Cooking Light magazine)
- Sprinkle the burger patties with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning. Set aside.
- Cut each shrimp into 2-3 pieces. In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, onions, celery, tarragon, mayo, remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning, 1/2 tsp. black pepper and the lemon juice. Mix until well combined.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the prepared burger patties on the grill. Grill to your liking. I grilled mine for 4 minutes per side for medium burgers. Top with cheese during last minute if desired.
- Remove from grill and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Toast the buns while burgers are resting.
- Place lettuce and tomato on top of bottom bun, top with burger, then a nice scoop of shrimp salad.