A spin on the classic spinach salad, this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing is a flavor-packed salad that’s perfect for your next summer BBQ!
Hiya folks! Did y’all enjoy your Memorial Day weekend? There may have been a bit of overindulging on my part, so I’ve been trying to clean up my act the last few days.
When I try to get back on the healthier side of things, I break out a salad. But not just any salad.
You know me. I like my salads fancy and flavorful! It’s gotta be loaded with lots of tasty ingredients to entice me, and it’s gotta be quick and easy.
Today’s Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing hits all the buttons.
The classic spinach salad version has always been one of my faves. But I’m also a huge Brussels sprouts fan, so I subbed in some shaved sprouts for the spinach and added some caramelized red onion to the usual cast of characters…bacon, hard boiled eggs and a sweet and tangy warm bacon dressing. It’s SUPER delicious!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing recipe:
You can shave Brussels sprouts with either a mandoline, a food processor fitted with a slicing blade or a sharp kitchen knife.
If you decide to use a mandoline, pierce the Brussels sprout with a fork before slicing, so you don’t cut your fingers.
If you use your food processor, trim the sprouts before adding to the processor.
If you’re more of a visual learner, here is a link to shaving sprouts from Sunset Magazine.
This is the perfect salad to add to your summer picnic menu this year. And if you’re in need of other salads or sides for your picnics or BBQs this summer, try my Super Veggie Chopped Salad with BBQ Ranch Dressing, my Gram’s Easy Macaroni Salad or my Southwestern Quinoa Salad with Lime Dressing and Cotija Cheese. All winners! Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts, tough outer leaved removed
- 4 large eggs
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
Warm Bacon Dressing
- 6 Tbsp. bacon fat, rendered from cooking the bacon
- 6 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Thinly shave the Brussels sprouts and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring water to a boil. Once the water boils, remove from heat. Cover the saucepan and let stand for 15 minutes. Once cooled, peel and roughly chop. Add to shaved sprouts.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp, remove to paper towel lined plate. Remove 6 tablespoons rendered fat to a small saucepan. Whisk in red wine vinegar, sugar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper and warm over low heat.
- To the remaining bacon fat in the skillet, cook the red onion for 7-8 minutes until lightly browned, adding a bit of olive oil if needed.
- Add the bacon and red onion to the bowl of sprouts and egg. Toss well with desired amount of warm bacon dressing. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.