This Sausage Acorn Squash Sheet Pan Dinner is incredibly easy and fall-flavored. It’s perfect for family dinner, but also impressive enough to serve for company!
Oh my goodness, have I got the easiest, most scrumptious, fall-flavored sheet pan meal for you guys today!!
So let’s get one thing out of the way first. Are you pro-acorn squash or anti-acorn squash?? I’m hoping you’re pro, but if not, I’m thinking this crazy delicious Sausage Acorn Squash Sheet Pan Dinner will totally change your mind.
I was not always an acorn squash lover, I’ll admit. My mother served it during the fall when I was a kid and let’s just say, I always made sure the dog was near my spot at the table. I really didn’t give it much of a try though. My palate was still developing. Now, it’s one of my favorite things about fall. Well, besides apples and pumpkin and mulled cider and….well, you get my point. I love it!
There are so many good things about acorn squash. Besides numerous health benefits, like boosting the immune system, protecting your skin and strengthening your bones, it can also be eaten with the skin on and it looks just beautiful when cut into half-moon shapes↑. I’m not gonna lie though, it’s pretty tough to cut, so make sure you’ve got a nice big sharp knife and check out this quick video for tips on cutting. Don’t worry, the extra effort is totally worth it.
I first saw this recipe in Martha Stewart’s cookbook, One Pot. I knew immediately I was going to love it. I made a few tweaks here and there, but for the most part her recipe was spot on. Tasty acorn squash, juicy Italian sausage (hot or sweet), wedges of red onion and fresh sage. All tossed together on a baking sheet. Sounds good huh? And so incredibly easy! I added some thyme leaves, and some broccolini because I wanted some green, and instead of chopping my sage, I added whole leaves. And since cranberries seemed a bit more fall to me, I substituted those for the cherries. And just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, why not add a sprinkling of gruyere?! And voila! It’ll be the simplest and tastiest sheet pan dinner to come out of your kitchen this fall! Guaranteed!
Hope to see you back at the BHK next week when I’ll be collaborating once again with my friend Alida from Simply Delicious. We’ll be sharing some sweet, delicious pumpkin recipes that you won’t want to miss! Hope your weekend is jam-packed with all the fun things of fall!! Enjoy!
Sausage Acorn Squash Sheet Pan DinnerPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 large acorn squash halved and seeded and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 small bunch broccolini about 8-10 spears
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 4-6 hot or sweet Italian sausage links about 1 pound
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 8-10 whole sage leaves
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Toss acorn squash, broccolini and red onion on a large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil. Make sure everything is in an even layer and you are using a large enough baking sheet so the vegetables are not crowded.
- Season with salt, pepper and thyme leaves.
- Add sausages to top of vegetables and roast until vegetables are tender, about 15-18 minutes.
- Heat the broiler with the rack about 8-10 inches from the heating element.
- Sprinkle the gruyere cheese and the sage leaves over the vegetables and broil until the cheese starts to bubble and lightly brown and until the sausages are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the cranberries. Serve immediately.
Join the Conversation