This Roasted Vegetable Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing is a healthy, hearty salad that’s perfect for fall and winter.
It’s been a busy few days over here!! I think since my husband Tom and I became empty-nesters this year with both our boys away at college we thought we would be sittin pretty. You know relaxin, no stress, smellin the roses, finally getting a chance to put our feet up a little and savor those delicious proverbial bon bons. Well….NOT SO MUCH!!
Right now our house is pretty much a wreck because we decided why not renovate the bathroom? And while we’re at it and we have to paint the bathroom over and the room next to it because of the renovation why not just repaint the whole entire house?! Are we CRAZY? Uh yeah…that’s us. But we are a good kind of crazy Tom and I. When one of us is thinking something we know the other one is thinking too we wait to see who is gonna mention it first. I mentioned the repainting because I knew Tom was thinking it but wanted me to say it first. It’s a game he plays, but I go along.
It was time to do it anyway so we might as well have a few days of CRAZY and then we can break out the bon bons right?! Besides Tom and I like to paint and when we can do something ourselves and save a little money well why the heck not? Plus when we want something done we want it done like yesterday. Ok well maybe even the day before yesterday. So the last few days have been a little frazzling and messy, but the whole first floor is already done and now it’s onto the second. Unfortunately, because we have been concentrating on getting the painting done it’s been pizza, hoagies and cheesesteaks for dinner! Now while all that stuff is mighty delicious I am craving something that is good for me. A nice healthy salad, but one that is more of a meal to give me energy for more painting.
This Roasted Vegetable Salad is full of sweet and savory flavors and dressed with a nice tangy balsamic vinaigrette. I included some roasted carrots, butternut squash and Bosc pears in mine. I also added some dried cranberries, chopped pecans and crumbled sharp cheddar, but you could use any combination of your favorite vegetables, fruits, nuts and cheese. You could try sweet potatoes, parsnips, or turnips and maybe substitute apples for pears. You can enjoy this salad as your meal or as a side salad. Be creative and customize it with all your favorites and it will soon become your go-to salad!
Roasted Vegetable Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette DressingPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled and diced into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups carrots peeled and diced into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups bosc pears unpeeled and cut into wedges
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 4 cups baby spinach and spring mix
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled white sharp cheddar cheese
- <b>Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing Ingredients</b>
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place rack in center of oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine vegetables and fruits in a large bowl with olive oil and salt. Toss well. Spread the vegetables out in a single layer onto prepared parchment lined baking sheet. Do not pile them up or they will not roast properly.
- Roast, flipping the vegetables and rotating the sheet halfway through. Bake for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Let cool. Transfer to large bowl.
- To make the dressing whisk all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- To assemble the salad place the greens in a large bowl. Season with 2-3 tablespoons of the balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Toss. Arrange the greens on 4 small plates or two larger plates. Season the roasted vegetables and fruit with 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinaigrette. Place over the greens and then top with the cranberries, nuts and cheddar cheese. Use extra vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.
Join the Conversation