This Roasted Asian Cauliflower and Carrots is a simple side dish that’s high on sweet and savory flavors. It’s ready in less than 20 minutes and also works well as a healthy meal served in lettuce cups!
Happy Monday guys!
I’ve kinda dropped the ball a bit on vegetable side dishes here at the BHK. I apologize folks. I shared my Quick and Easy Potatoes Romanoff way back in November, but clearly it’s time for another veggie side.
This Roasted Asian Cauliflower and Carrots is a simple side with so much flavor. I’ve always loved roasting veggies and I’m also a fan of Asian flavors, so I put the two together to make this tasty side. It also works well as a healthy meal served in lettuce cups if you chop the veggies up a smidge more than what’s pictured here.
Roasted Asian Cauliflower and Carrots Ingredients
• olive oil
• reduced-sodium soy sauce
• brown sugar
• chili garlic sauce
• green onions
The sauce is a tangy, somewhat spicy sauce made from a combination of soy sauce, water, brown sugar, chili garlic sauce, fresh ginger and garlic. I thicken it with some cornstarch, bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for about two minutes before removing it from the heat and tossing it with the roasted veggies.
I love to serve the veggies topped with some chopped unsalted peanuts. If I happen to have sesame seeds on hand, I sometimes garnish with those too.
This is a healthy side that’s perfect for your weekly meal prep too. If you’re a fan of Asian flavors, I think this one will be right up your alley. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Roasted Asian Cauliflower and Carrots Recipe:
As mentioned above, this would be delicious served in lettuce cups if you coarsely chopped the cauliflower and carrots instead of leaving in bigger pieces as pictured.
I used one teaspoon of of the chili garlic sauce. If you like things spicier feel free to add more. You can also use sriracha instead of the chili garlic sauce. You can find both at your local market.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower florets and carrots with the olive oil. Toss until well coated. Spread on prepared sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 13-15 minutes, until lightly browned and fork tender.
- In a small saucepan, combine ginger, garlic, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, cornstarch and chili garlic sauce. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes, stirring often, until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Toss cauliflower, carrots and green onions in sauce mixture until well coated. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve.