This Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Tart with Parmesan Crust is your favorite pie, tart style!
What kind of football fan are you?
What’s on the game day menu is just as important as the actual game at our house.
When a new season rolls around, I’m always looking to add new options to the menu.
Since pizza and beer are always a crowd fave, I thought I’d go the extra mile and whip up a homemade Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Tart with an incredibly delicious savory parmesan crust.
The pie crust is a tasty mixture of the usual cast of pie crust characters…butter, flour, salt and ice water along with some freshly grated parmesan cheese.
And the filling is a simple combination of Italian sausage (my fave), pepperoni, pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, fresh julienned basil leaves and crushed red pepper.
A Few Cook’s Notes for Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Tart with Parmesan Crust Recipe:
For the pepperoni layer, I purchased a 7-ounce bag of pepperoni slices. I did not use the entire bag. I just scattered them, overlapping the slices a bit in an even layer.
I used a half a pound of hot ground Italian sausage, but if you like things less spicy, use sweet Italian sausage.
I made my crust dough and then chilled it in the refrigerator for an hour before rolling it out and placing it in the tart pan and blind baking it.
You definitely need to add this pizza tart to your game day eats menu! Total winner, hands down! Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup butter, cold, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup ice cold water, approximately
- 1/2 lb. sweet or hot ground Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 30 slices pepperoni, approximate, use more or less to make a nice even layer
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves, julienned (cut into thin strips)
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, if desired
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt, if desired
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, butter, salt and parmesan cheese. Pulse a few times until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Slowly add one tablespoon of ice water at a time to mixture until it starts to come together and until you can form small clumps of dough in your fingers.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for one hour to chill. Spray a 9-inch tart pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out to fit in the prepared pan. Press the dough into the pan and prick the bottom and sides of the crust with the tines of a fork. Cover the dough with foil and fill with beans. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Remove foil and beans. Keep oven at 375 degrees.
Assembling the Pizza Tart
- In a medium skillet, over medium heat cook the Italian sausage until no longer pink. Remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon to the pie crust.
- Top the sausage with the pizza sauce spreading into an even layer with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle the sauce with one cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Add the pepperoni slices, overlapping a bit. Sprinkle with the julienned basil leaves and then top with the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes until cheese is fully melted and lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, garlic salt and some additional parmesan cheese if desired. Cut into wedges and serve.