This Muffuletta Dip is bold and zesty with all the ingredients of the traditional New Orleans signature sandwich.
One day I’m going to make it to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. It’s on my bucket list. And the first thing I’m gonna try…the Muffuletta.
If you’ve never tried the muffelatta, you’ll definitely need to add this delicious sandwich to your bucket list. But in the meantime, I think this Mufffuletta Dip will whet your appetite!
What is a Muffuletta?
The Muffuletta is the classic New Orleans sandwich piled high with cured meats, cheese and a signature tangy olive salad . The sandwich is served on a round muffuletta loaf, a New Orleans staple, that is split horizontally, layered with all the ingredients, and served cold or at room temperature. It’s a total meal inside a loaf of bread.
This dip is flavorful, hearty and loaded with cubed salami, capicola, provolone, celery, pepperoncini and roasted peppers. It’s also got two varieties of olives, pimento stuffed green olives and Kalamata olives, capers and some giardiniera salad which is a combo of pickled cauliflower, carrots and hot peppers. It’s all tossed in a mixture of olive oil and red wine vinegar along with some parsley, oregano, garlic and freshly grated parmesan. It’s perfect served with pita wedges or toasted baguette slices.
So until you can grab the authentic New Orleans sandwich, let this dip tickle your taste buds, and totally satisfy your appetite! Enjoy!
- 2 cups salami, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups capicola, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups provolone cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup giardiniera, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/3 cup pepperoncini
- 1/2 cup pimento stuffed green olives, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. capers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Add all ingredients, except parsley, to a large bowl and toss until well combined. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least one hour before serving. Just before serving add parsley. Serve with pita wedges or toasted baguette slices. Will keep in refrigerator for up to 5 days.