These Margarita Cupcakes are light and refreshing with a moist and fluffy lime cake and a tangy, boozy tequila lime frosting! Cheers to dessert!
Where are all my margarita fans??
Today’s Margarita Cupcakes are light and refreshing with a moist and fluffy cake and a tangy, boozy tequila lime frosting that’s sure to knock your socks off!!
It’s summer, so that means special treats are in order every now and then. And boozy treats are even better, don’t you agree??
I’ve always enjoyed a good margarita, so I thought why not make some boozy Margarita Cupcakes?
The cake is totally moist with a nice hint of lime from freshly grated lime zest. And the frosting?? Hello new favorite frosting. It’s got more freshly grated lime zest and some Blanco Tequila to make them boozy!
Margarita Cupcakes Ingredients
- cake flour
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- olive oil
- vanilla extract
Lime Tequila Frosting Ingredients
- unsalted butter
- confectioners’ sugar
- vanilla extract
I hope you guys give these little beauties a go. They’re perfect for summer entertaining!
Please let me know if you give this recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Margarita Cupcakes
If you don’t drink alcohol just omit the tequila and replace it with milk.
I used a Blanco tequila for these cupcakes. You can use your favorite tequila.
More Delicious Cupcake Recipes to Enjoy
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes
Margarita CupcakesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp. freshly grated lime zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. tequila
- 1 Tbsp. whole milk
- extra lime zest and sanding sugar, for sprinkling on top of each cupcake for decoration, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat sugar and olive oil on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time until well blended. Add vanilla and lime zest and mix until well combined. With a spatula, add 1/3 of the flour mixture, half the milk, second third of flour mixture, remaining milk and last third of flour mixture. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack. While cupcakes are cooling make frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine butter, sugar and lime zest. Beat on low speed until blended, about one minute. Add the vanilla, tequila and milk and increase speed to medium and continue to beat for 4 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add another tablespoon tequila, if necessary, until you reach a good spreading consistency. Pipe cooled cupcakes with frosting. Sprinkle with extra lime zest or sanding sugar, if desired.
Join the Conversation