These Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes with Cherry Compote are a summer favorite! They’re the perfect breakfast to take advantage of all those beautiful, juicy summer cherries.
Well hello there friends! How was your weekend? Summer’s just flying by isn’t it? I can tell because the other day I actually heard someone say those dreaded three words…back to school! UGH! Really? I also heard the word pumpkin being tossed around in conversation! Double UGH! I mean I love pumpkin recipes, but let’s face it friends, there’s a time and a place for everything, and the middle of summer is NOT the time or the place! Agreed?
Summer is time for enjoying gorgeous produce like plump, juicy, red cherries. And let me tell you, I’ve been on sort of a cherry binge lately. I decided to treat myself to a cherry pitter and now there’s no stopping me! It was money well spent!
The first thing I decided to make, now that I’m the queen of cherry pitting, was this delicious cherry compote. And while I was whipping up the compote I thought, hmmmm, what should I serve it with? The first thing that came to mind was something breakfasty. Bingo…pancakes. And not just any old pancakes, but some deliciously lemony Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes. What a combo guys. You’ve got to give these pancakes and compote a try. They’ve got summer flavors written all over them!
I’ve used my go-to buttermilk pancake recipe adding 2 tablespoons of lemon zest and lemon juice along with 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds. And the compote is so incredibly easy you could make it with your eyes closed. Well, not really but take it from me, it’s easy peasy lemon squeezy. You’ll only need a handful of ingredients and a few minutes time before you’ll be sitting at the breakfast table enjoying these beauties! And if you have some extra compote left over it’s perfect over some vanilla bean ice cream too. Enjoy friends and have a great week!
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes with Cherry CompotePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Cherry Compote:
- 3 cups cherries pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp. corn starch plus 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk room temperature
- 4 Tbsp. butter melted and cooled
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Cherry Compote: Place cherries, sugar, water and lemon juice in a large saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until sugar dissolves and fruit begins to soften, about 3 minutes.In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and the 2 Tbsp. water. Add to the cherry mixture and stir for an additional 1-2 minutes until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Pancakes: In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder. To the flour mixture add the eggs, buttermilk, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and poppy seeds Stir all ingredients together. You do not want to over mix. The batter should still have some lumps visible. If you over mix you will have a tough pancake.
- Heat a griddle to medium-high (375 degrees). Lightly grease the griddle with the vegetable oil. Spoon 1/4 cup scoops onto the griddle spacing about 2 inches apart. Cook until you see some bubbles on the top of the pancake (about 2 - 2 1/2 minutes). Carefully flip the pancake with a spatula. Continue to cook until the other side is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes topped with cherry compote.
Join the Conversation