These Lemon Cupcakes Filled with Lemon Curd Topped with Vanilla Buttercream are light and ultra-lemony! They’re like sunshine on a plate!
Hello friends! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! Did you do anything fun? My weekend was filled with excitement! Fun with friends, a beautiful wedding and some Sauvignon Sunsets!! It could not have been better! Well, maybe if the weather had cooperated, but that’s okay Mother Nature. We didn’t let it get to us!
I can’t believe it’s only a few days until the kickoff to summer 2016! I am so incredibly excited!! So with summer on the horizon, today I’m sharing one of my favorite little warm weather cupcakes. I got a chance to make these yummy little dessert treats when I was visiting my niece Ally this spring in sunny Florida! Ally is a very talented baker, so it was nice to have an assistant to help me in the kitchen!
And I can tell you, nothing screams bright and sunny days better than one of these Lemon Cupcakes filled with Lemon Curd and topped with Vanilla Buttercream. These little beauties are so light and refreshing. They’re sweet, tart and tangy and they’re double the lemon flavor. They’ve got a fabulously moist, lemony flavored cake with an added little bonus of some delicious tart lemon curd filling. You can use a cupcake corer to core your cupcakes, or simply use a small pairing knife to carve out a small little hole in the middle of each cupcake to fill with the curd before you frost the cupcakes.
Hope you enjoy these sweet treats friends! They’ll be PERFECT on the Memorial Day dessert menu! Get ready Summer 2016…here we come!!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup one stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- 1./2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup lemon curd I use Dickinson's
- Vanilla Buttercream:
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time until well blended. Add vanilla and beat an additional 1 minute.
- With a spatula add the flour mixture until just combined, then add the juice, zest and milk being careful not to overmix.
- Spoon batter into liners about 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
- When cupcakes are cooled, fill with lemon curd. To fill the cupcakes with the curd, use a cupcake corer or pairing knife to remove the center of each of the cupcakes, making a well about one-inch deep. Spoon a small amount of lemon curd into each well, then top with frosting.
- While cupcakes are cooling make frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine butter and sugar. Beat on low speed until blended, about one minute. Add the vanilla and milk and increase speed to medium and continue to beat for 4 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add more milk, if necessary, until you reach a good spreading consistency.
- Frost cupcakes when cooled.