A zesty change up from the traditional, this Kickin’ Shrimp Cocktail is zesty and delicious!
Ahhhh…..the carefree sunny days of summer! There’s nothing better! I hope you guys are soaking in all the sun and fun of summer right now! I know I am!
I have to say I really do love all the different seasons of the year but summer and I have always had a thang! No schedules, no packing lunches for school, no homework, just staying up late, sleeping in, and soakin’ in the sun….really, does it get any better? I’m thinking that would be a no. Even a rainy day in the summer is never as bad as a rainy day during any other season. Am I right? All the colors of the summer are just incredible too. The blues are bluer, the pinks are pinker, the greens are greener! Can you tell I just love summer?
Today’s recipe, Kickin’ Shrimp Cocktail is summer in a dish. I don’t know about your house but shrimp cocktail is a staple around our house during the summer months. I usually grill my shrimp or steam them with Old Bay and serve them with a little cocktail sauce. It’s the perfect summer appetizer or snack. But I’m changing it up with today’s shrimp cocktail recipe.
This one is loaded with some bright and tasty summer veggies and fruits and some hot pepper spread for a little kick! The colors in this dish just spell Summer with a capital S! A little mango, red pepper, red onion, avocado and a sprinkling of cilantro will turn your routine shrimp cocktail into your favorite go-to summer appetizer or snack! Hope you enjoy it! Have fun in the sun!
- 1/4 cup hot pepper spread or jelly I used Dickinson's
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. lime zest
- 1 lb. peeled shrimp large
- 1 cup mango diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 avocado diced
- Whisk together the spread, lime juice and the lime zest.
- Pour mixture into a large Ziploc bag; add the shrimp, mango, red pepper, red onion and cilantro and toss to coat.
- Seal the bag and chill for 4 hours turning the bag often.
- Add the diced avocado just before serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips if desired.