These Hot Pretzel Nuggets with Cheddar Cheese Sauce are chewy and salty and perfect for game day!
The countdown to the Super Bowl is on guys! Are you getting excited?? Did your team make it to the big game? Mine didn’t, but I’m still excited, not so much for the actual game, but for all the tasty food that will be served during the game. (and for the commercials of course!) These Hot Pretzel Nuggets with Cheddar Cheese Sauce have made it to every Super Bowl Party since I can remember. They’re always a winner!
I mean come on guys, who doesn’t like a warm, homemade pretzel nugget dipped in cheese? These nuggets are the perfect football game watching finger food! They’re chewy and salty and go perfectly with your favorite beer. I like mine dipped in yellow mustard, but Tom likes them with mustard AND cheese sauce. And since the cheddar cheese sauce takes less than 10 minutes to whip up, Tom says it’s a must!
You will need to take into account a little rising time (2 hours), but otherwise these pretzels are so easy to prepare. And that’s coming from someone who is somewhat challenged when it comes to baking with yeast. So put these on your Super Bowl menu friends, I guarantee they’ll be a winner at your house too! Have a great weekend and hope to see you back at the BHK next week! I’ve got more delicious Valentine treats in store that you won’t want to miss!
- 1 cup warm water 100 - 110 degrees
- 2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast one packet
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar packed
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter softened
- vegetable oil for bowl
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- pretzel salt or coarse kosher salt for sprinkling
- Cheddar Cheese Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together warm water and yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. If your mixture doesn't foam, start again with new yeast.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar and kosher salt.
- Add flour mixture and butter to the yeast mixture. Stir until well combined.
- After dough has come together, knead the dough on a very lightly floured surface until smooth, about 8 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl (or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray). Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise at room temperature for 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place racks in upper and lower third of oven.
- Punch dough down and divide into 4 equal pieces. Form each piece into 4 balls. Roll each ball into a long rope and cut each rope into 1-2 inch nuggets, and place on parchment lined baking sheets.
- In a large 5 quart pot, bring 8 cups of water and 1/2 cup baking soda to a boil.
- Add 12 nuggets at a time to boiling water and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from pot with a slotted spoon and place on parchment lined sheets.
- Immediately sprinkle nuggets with pretzel salt.
- Repeat with remaining nuggets.
- Bake pretzels for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- For the cheese Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp. butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, about 4-5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add the cheese and cayenne pepper. Whisk until the cheese is melted and smooth.
Pretzel recipe adapted from Epicurious