These Espresso Chip Madeleines are such an elegant little treat. Fun to bake and perfect to share!
Hellooo friends! I am so excited for today’s post! Today, I’m sharing a recipe from Barbara Feldman Morse’s darling new cookbook, Madeleines: Elegant French Tea Cakes to Bake and Share! AND I’m having a giveaway!
A week or so before Christmas I got Barbara’s cookbook (my favorite Christmas present this season!) from my good friend Kristen. Over the years, Kristen and her husband Joey have been frequent guests for dinner at the BHK, and she knows how much I love to cook and bake, so it was the perfect gift. I’m pretty sure the first day I got my new book, I read it cover to cover.
When I read a little about Barbara, I realized we shared similar backgrounds. She also grew up spending summers at the beach along the Atlantic Ocean. I was so impressed with Barbara’s book, I decided to email her and ask her if she wouldn’t mind if I shared one of her recipes with you guys on the blog. Barbara said she’d love it and was so sweet to provide her book and her absolutely gorgeous scallop shaped shell madeleine pan for a giveaway! Woot woot!
This book is packed with amazing recipes, sweet and savory. There’s Bananas Fosters Madeleines, Caramelized Onion and Asiago Madeleines and Browned Butter Pecan Madeleines to name a few. Barbara’s creativity knows no bounds!
The tough choice was which one to share today. I finally decided on the the Espresso Chip Madeleine to feed my coffee and mocha latte addiction, something else Barbara and I have in common. It was the perfect choice. They’ve got a rich espresso flavor and they’re studded with chocolate chips for an added boost. They’re absolutely delightful! Barbara’s one-bowl method is so easy and creates a perfect tender madeleine every time. I know you’ll love them!
To enter the giveaway just leave a comment below, and I’ll announce the winner next Thursday. The giveaway includes Barbara’s wonderful cookbook and special madeleine pan, an OXO cookie scoop and a cooling rack. Good luck and enjoy!
Espresso Chip Madeleines and a GiveawayPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. instant espresso powder or more to taste I used 2 1/2 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. hot water
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks chips or mini chips (I used mini chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and position rack in middle of oven. Spray madeleine pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside, In a small bowl, whisk together espresso powder and hot water to make a paste.
- Combine butter and sugar in a microwavable bowl. Microwave on low power for 1-2 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Continue microwaving in 15 second intervals until butter is totally melted and mixture is smooth.
- Let mixture cool for 3-4 minutes.. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition.
- Add milk until well combines. Next, add flour mixture, whisking until well combined.
- Stir in espresso mixture and then fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a 1 1/2 inch diameter scoop or a teaspoon, fill molds until almost full. Press batter to evenly distribute.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the madeleines are puffy and the tops spring back when gently pressed. Do not overbake.
- Remove from oven to cool on rack for 2-3 minutes. Use offset spatula to remove from pan.
Adapted from Barbara’s Espresso Chip Madeleine recipe
Join the Conversation