This Eggplant, Caramelized Onion, Tomato and Burrata Pasta is perfect for all that gorgeous summer eggplant. It’s a hearty dish that never fails to impress!
Hi guys and Happy Thursday! The weekend’s in sight along with a relaxing weeks vacation for Tom and I, so today I’m celebrating with a huge bowl of Eggplant, Caramelized Onion, Tomato and Burrata Pasta! Care to join me??
Eggplant season is in full swing in the lovely Garden State, so there’s no better dish to serve up than this tasty pasta loaded with tender eggplant, savory caramelized onion, juicy tomatoes and creamy burrata. I hope you guys are eggplant fans because this dish is so easy and flavorful it’s sure to become part of your summer menu.
I have to say I haven’t been an eggplant lover my whole life. And it’s not because I didn’t like the taste. It was mainly because I didn’t even give it a try until I was in my 30’s. I know, crazy it took me that long. I’m always game for trying anything new, but frankly the opportunity never presented itself. Once I tried it though, I was hooked.
My first taste of eggplant was in something called an Eggplant Stack from a little market at the Jersey Shore that sold the most amazing prepared foods ever. I shared it with you guys back in January of 2015. If you missed it, it’s definitely worth a peek! Unfortunately, because of Hurricane Sandy that little market in Normandy Beach, New Jersey is no longer in business. But I remember almost every single dish they ever served up, so I’ve been creating them at home for years.
What’s almost even better than the taste of this dish is the list of health benefits that eggplant boasts! It’s low in calories, contains no fat and it’s high in fiber. It contains certain phyto nutrients which nourish the brain and improve blood circulation. And studies show that eggplant can help lower “bad” cholesterol. Woot! Woot!
So come on folks, grab some eggplant and make this one a regular on your summer menu! Hope you enjoy and have a great weekend!
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion sliced thin and quartered
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups eggplant cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 28 ounce can San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes with juices, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. gemelli pasta
- 8 oz. burrata
- 1/3 cup basil leaves julienned
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, salt and pepper and cook until caramelized, about 25 minutes.
- Add eggplant and garlic and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer.
- While sauce is simmering cook pasta al dente according to package directions.
- Drain pasta and add to tomato sauce.
- Add burrata and basil. Toss to coat.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and season to taste with salt and pepper.