This Easy Spiced Honey Snack Cake is a delicious simple cake that’s perfect as a dessert or even as a special treat with your morning tea or coffee! It takes no time to make and the warm honey and spices give this little cake over the top flavor!
Let’s bake a little something and spice up our weekend, shall we? (see what I did there?) And let’s be sure to add some honey because just in case you didn’t know, September is National Honey Month!
This Easy Spiced Honey Snack Cake is flavored with honey, cinnamon and vanilla and topped with crunchy sliced almonds for some texture. It’s one of my family’s favorites.
I’ve actually been meaning to share this tasty snack cake for a while. I saw the recipe in Yossy Arefi’s book, Snacking Cakes and knew I’d enjoy it. Honestly, I think I’d enjoy every cake in her book.
What I love about the book besides all the yummy cakes, is that Yossy gives you lots of different options with each cake recipe. Don’t want to make it a snack sized cake, she outlines directions to turn it into a bundt, a loaf, a round cake. She also adds different flavor variations and ways to dress up each cake with ideas like flavored whipped creams, fruit or ice cream.
Easy Spiced Honey Snack Cake Ingredients
- brown sugar
- canola oil
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- kosher salt
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- sliced almonds (optional, but encouraged)
Yossy recommends using a floral or citrusy runny honey for this recipe, like wildflower or clover. I chose clover and it gave the cake fantastic flavor. The honey flavor wasn’t overpowering at all.
She also recommends that the sliced almonds are optional, but I highly encourage you to add them for added crunch and texture. Plus they make the cake look pretty!
I like to serve my cake with some freshly whipped cream and berries. Hope you give this warm spiced, tasty cake a try this fall folks. It’s the ideal cake to cozy up to with your morning tea or coffee too. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Easy Spiced Honey Snack Cake
You could double the ingredients, skip the almond sprinkle and bake this in a 15-cup bundt pan, about 40-50 minutes. Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then invert it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
You could also use a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan, use only 1/4-cup of the sliced almonds for the topping and bake until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and the loaf is puffed and lightly golden brown, about 35-45 minutes.
You could also bake it in a 9-inch round pan until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and the loaf is puffed and lightly golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
More Delicious Cakes to Enjoy
Chocolate Snack Cake with Orange Buttercream
Easy Spiced Honey Snack CakePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3/4 cup runny honey, I used clover honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Place a rack in the center of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray and 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk honey, brown sugar, egg, oil, buttermilk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder and soda and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan, tapping the pan lightly on the counter to release any air bubbles. Smooth the top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle the almonds on top, if desired.
- Bake until the cake is puffy and lightly golden, and a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 25-35 minutes. Cool the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Will keep well wrapped at room temp for up to three days.
Join the Conversation