If you’re looking for a healthy option for your appetizer list, a Crudité Platter with Romesco Sauce is the perfect choice. It’s simple, irresistible and packed with flavor.
Hello folks and welcome back to Simple Saturday!
With March Madness upon us, I thought I’d share a nice healthy option for your appetizer list. I don’t know about you guys, but I have a hard time stepping away from the table and overindulging when cheesy appetizers are involved. Nachos, poppers, cheesesteak egg rolls….they’re all delicious, but come with a warning…devour this and they’ll be extra time at the gym in your future! And ain’t nobody got time for that right?!
And we all know how important veggies are in our diet, so add an incredibly flavorful AND healthy dip to go all with those veggies and I’m in. I’m not one of those people who willing munch on naked carrots or celery. I’ve got to have some kind of dipping action goin’ on to entice me.
This Romesco Sauce is a red pepper and nut based sauce that has an amazing spicy, smoky flavor. It’s perfect with crudités, over seafood or potatoes, or as a spread on a sandwich. Just pulse all the ingredients in your food processor then slowly add the olive oil and process until nice and smooth. It’ll keep in the fridge for a week and it’s the perfect way to dress up those poor naked carrots or celery! Enjoy and Happy Saturday!
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 slice crusty bread
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast almonds in a small dry skillet for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Place all ingredients, except olive oil, in food processor and pulse a few times until finely crumbled. Slowly add olive oil and process until smooth. Cover and chill. Can be made a week in advance.
- Serve sauce with sliced English cucumber, whole lightly salted almonds, julienned carrots, slices of toasted baguette bread, halved and cleaned mini colored peppers, snap peas or any of your favorite veggies.