This Creamy Spinach Soup with Crabmeat is ultra-rich and creamy and a total winner for soup season!
Hey there friends!
How was everyone’s holiday weekend?
Are all the kiddos back to school? Virtually? In person?
It’s a time like no other this back to school season. A bit more stressful for all you parents and kids out there, so I’m gonna do my best to keep all the delicious food coming to help keep your minds off things and your bellies full!
There’s really not one thing I like about the end to the summer season. I’m just going to be honest.
OK, OK. Maybe ONE thing. Soup season is here!! Woohoo!
I don’t know about you folks, but we enjoy soup all year long. We have soups for every season.
During the summer, we’re all about the chowders and bisques at the Jersey shore. We love our New England and Manahattan clam chowders, lobster and shrimp bisques and one of our faves, my Clams Casino Soup.
Today’s Creamy Spinach Soup with Crabmeat is ultra rich and creamy, loaded with fabulous spinach flavor and topped with crabmeat, which is optional, but highly encouraged. It’s a winning combination.
The base of this soup was handed down from my mother. I use it for all my creamed soups and just change up the veggie. It’s a quick and easy recipe to throw together, you’ll only need a handful of ingredients to whip it up and it even freezes well. Hope y’all give it a try. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Creamy Spinach Soup with Crabmeat Recipe:
The crabmeat for this soup is optional, but I enjoyed the combination at a local restaurant, so I thought I’d share.
You can use a chicken bouillon cube or chicken bouillon granules. (I like to use Knorr Chicken Bouillon cubes)
If you do not have an immersion blender, you can purée the soup in your blender in very small amounts. Do not overfill or you will get burned when the blender explodes.
If you like your soup a little thinner, just add more milk until you get to the desired consistency.
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 10-oz. package chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 1 extra large chicken bouillon cube, I used Knorr brand
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup lump crabmeat, optional
- paprika, for sprinkling crabmeat, if desired
- Melt butter in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute, stirring often until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for one minute. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute until flour is cooked but not brown, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly until incorporated. Increase heat and continue to stir until mixture is smooth and begins to thicken.Stir in spinach, chicken bouillon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Stir in the cream and continue to cook until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Pour into bowls and top with some crabmeat, if desired. Serve immediately.