This Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder with Bacon is a hearty comfort food dish that’s perfect for fall!
Well, this weekend was a tough one friends.
The devastation from Hurricane Irma is heartbreaking and hits very close to home for me.
A few weeks ago my younger sister and her family who live outside of Houston, Texas were walloped by Hurricane Harvey. And this past weekend my mother and my oldest sister and her family who live in Naples, Florida were hit by Hurricane Irma. The devastation in both areas is of epic proportions, and the state of Florida is still being hammered this morning.
I watched hurricane coverage all weekend, and frankly I’m drained and exhausted from the stress of it all, and I wasn’t even in the midst of it. My heart goes out to everyone affected by both disasters. You are all in my prayers.
So today calls for a comfort food recipe. And nothing says comfort better than a warm bowl of soup. This Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder with Bacon is just that. It’s hearty, full of flavorful and absolutely comforting.
If you can still get some fresh end of season sweet corn go grab some and get cookin’. If not, frozen or canned corn will do. I decided on half and half instead of heavy cream for this recipe, so the soup’s not as heavy. I also add some chopped red bell pepper, but if you prefer green pepper, feel free to substitute that. And I like my red potatoes with the skin left on, but you could peel them if you’d rather. And don’t skip the bacon, because we all know bacon makes everything even better. Enjoy!
Sending love and virtual hugs your way friends!
Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder with BaconPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 5 slices bacon chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 unpeeled red potatoes cup into 1/2 inch cubes, about 3 cups
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels 3-4 ears
- 8.25 ounce can creamed corn
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chives finely chopped
- Place bacon in a large pot over medium heat. Cook until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- To the rendered fat in the pot, add onion and bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the stock, raise the heat to heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add the potatoes and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the chicken, corn kernels, creamed corn and half and half and continue to simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove 1-2 ladlefuls of liquid to a small bowl. Add the 1 tablespoon flour. Whisk until smooth. Return to pot, mix until well combined, and continue to simmer for 5 minutes until soup begins to thicken. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls. Top with crisp bacon and garnish with fresh chopped chives.
Join the Conversation