These Cocoa Coffee Baked Donuts are moist, fluffy and super chocolatey, with just the perfect amount of coffee flavor!
It’s been a hot minute since I made some homemade baked donuts hasn’t it??
The last recipe I posted was my Key Lime Pie Donuts back in 2016. Say what??? And before that my Gingerbread Donuts with Gingerbread Glaze and my all time favorite, Baked Buttermilk Blueberry Donuts.
Clearly, I’ve dropped the ball when it comes to homemade baked donuts. Sorry guys!
Since the start of 2020, I’ve been busting my you know what to get back into shape. No more “I’ll start my diet and workout plan tomorrow.” I’ve been on my best behavior. Sweets have been few and far between.
But a few weeks ago, I decided it was time to reward myself with these Cocoa Coffee Baked Donuts. And what a treat they were!
So decadent and chocolatey with the perfect hint of coffee.
I was thinking of adding some sprinkles to the top of these beauties, but honestly that CRAZY DELICIOUS glaze was all these donuts needed, so I saved myself the extra calories.
I’m actually not sure how many extra calories I really saved though, because that mocha glaze was incredibly hard not to eat directly from the bowl. #sorrynotsorry
These would be perfect for your weekend baking plan since we’ll all still be practicing our social distancing. Hope you give them a try! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Cocoa Coffee Baked Donuts Recipe:
I added 1/2 teaspoon of the espresso powder to the donut batter. It won’t add coffee flavor to your donuts. It will only make the chocolate flavor richer.
I added 1 teaspoon espresso powder to the mocha glaze which I thought gave the glaze the perfect coffee flavor. Start out with 1/2 a teaspoon if you’re not sure and then add up to 1 teaspoon.
Cocoa Coffee Baked DonutsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped (or semisweet chocolate chips)
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup + one Tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tsp. espresso powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray donut pan lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl mix together egg, brown sugar, buttermilk and vegetable oil. Add to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Pour dough into gallon-sized Ziploc storage bag. Cut a 3/4 inch whole in bottom one corner of bag. Pipe dough into donut molds filling 3/4 full. Bake for 8-9 minutes or until donuts spring back when touched. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack. Invert cooled donuts into glaze, letting excess drip off. Place on wire rack until set.
- Place chopped chocolate, confectioners' sugar and pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Add heavy cream and espresso powder to a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for one minute. Pour hot cream over chocolate mixture. Wait one minute, then whisk until smooth.
Join the Conversation