These Cinnamon Sugared Doughnut Muffins are without a doubt a sweet little breakfast treat! They’re fluffy and moist and coated in a heavenly cinnamon sugar mixture everyone loves!
Let’s be realistic here…bathing suit season up North isn’t coming anytime soon, so let’s go crazy today and eat lots and lots of muffins!!! Cinnamon Sugared Doughnut Muffins!! It’ll be fun! Believe you me I’m already having fun!!
I love the pretty white fluffy stuff that is falling outside my window right now just as much as the next guy, but I am OVER this winter already. O-V-E-R!! Aren’t you?? It didn’t really help that I spent the last few days in sunny Florida visiting family where it was a warm and toasty 82 degrees. (I know I’m sorry) Coming back to sleet and freezing rain and now another snowstorm heading our way is just too much. Desperate times call for desperate measures! Not only can we band together and make these delicious, moist and tender muffins we can eat as many as we want and not worry one iota about having to don our bathing suits any time soon! YAY!!
This muffin tastes like a sugared doughnut, but no messy oil to deal with. After they are done baking you let them cool slightly and then you dip them first in butter and then in a cinnamon sugar mixture. It doesn’t get any better than that, unless you want to slice the muffin in half and spread on your favorite jelly like I did!
Well, Daylight Savings Time starts this Sunday and the first day of spring is just around the corner, so stock up on these muffins and think warmer weather. Please!!
Cinnamon Sugared Doughnut MuffinsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter one stick, room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 8-10 standard muffin cups with paper liners or spray generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and continue to beat until blended.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Combine buttermilk and vanilla in a measuring cup.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then add half the buttermilk mixture. Stir. Repeat with next half of each and stir until just moistened. Do not over mix.
- Use a large ice cream scoop and scoop batter into cups until 3/4 full. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then place on a wire rack.
- For the topping:
- Combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Melt the butter in another bowl.
- Dip the top of the muffin into the melted butter coating the entire top evenly, then into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on wire rack.
- These muffins freeze really well too. Place extras in a Ziploc freezer bag and when you want one pop it out of the freezer and let it defrost on a plate on the counter. Then I place mine in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and it is warm and delicious with my coffee.
Join the Conversation