These Chocolate Shortbread Holiday Cutout Cookies are rich, buttery and perfectly chocolatey with just a hint of cinnamon.
Oh, please say you’re not stuffed with holiday cookies just yet.
This year I was so excited to participate in the 5th Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap! These Chocolate Shortbread Holiday Cutout Cookies were the cookies I created for the swap in support of Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. The swap was hosted by my fellow food bloggers, Lindsay of Love and Olive Oil and Julie of The Little Kitchen. The brand partners for this year’s swap were Dixie Crystals, Land O Lakes and OXO who matched all donations dollar to dollar. Yay! Handling a holiday cookie swap for close to 500 food bloggers and raising over $7000 is no easy task! Hats off to Lindsay and Julie!!
These Chocolate Shortbread Holiday Cutout Cookies are a favorite of mine, because #1 they’re shortbread, #2 they’re chocolate shortbread and #3 they’re dipped in even more chocolate! It’s a win-win-win friends! HO-HO-HO as Santa would say!
They are rich, buttery and perfectly chocolatey with a little hint of cinnamon. The holidays would not be complete at our house without some of these special cookies to munch on. I know cutout cookies take a little more work, but festive shapes and sprinkles spell “Holiday” with a capital H, so they’re totally worth it!
Enjoy friends and please head back to the BHK this Saturday for a yummy “Simple Saturday” recipe!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups 3 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 oz. white chocolate chopped and melted (I use Ghirardelli Premium white chocolate baking bars)
- non pareils or sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine flour, cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add butter and vanilla and mix until dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into three equal portions.
- Roll one portion of dough out onto a floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes using cookie cutter of choice.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheets 1 inch apart.
- Bake 15-17 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cool cookies completely on wire racks.
- While cookies are cooling, melt chopped white chocolate in microwave safe bowl in 30 seconds intervals until smooth.
- Dip top of cookie into melted chocolate and place on parchment paper to set. Sprinkle tops with non pareils or sprinkles of your choice.
- Let set for 30 minutes-1 hour.
- Store at room temperature in airtight container.