This Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake is a winner for comfort food season!
Hi guys! How was everyone’s weekend?
For the most part, my weekend was great. The weather was beautiful at the beach, so Tom and I did a little fishing on Saturday. Unfortunately, the fish weren’t biting (that’s why it’s called fishing and not catching, right?), but it was still a gorgeous day on the water. Then we had dinner with friends to celebrate a birthday on Saturday night. My friend Janice made a delicious meal and topped it off with Ina’s chocolate cake. Totally dreamy!
I say my weekend was great “for the most part” because I decided to make some additional changes to the blog to make the site faster and things did not go as smoothly as I’d hoped. Computer issues stress me out! If you experienced any issues connecting to the blog, I do apologize. But I’m happy to say, all things are now fixed and the site is up and running at lightning speed. Woohoo!
So how about we celebrate and start the week off with some crazy delish comfort food? ‘Tis the season after all.
You know we’re fans of comfort food here at the BHK. Have you tried my Swedish Pasta Meatball Bake? If not, take a peek. So many people have commented that they’ve tried it and it’s getting such rave reviews!
Since it’s been one of the most popular comfort food dishes here, I decided to bring you another pasta bake fashioned after a classic dish.
Today, I’m serving up this SUPER tasty Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake.
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic French dish that’s made of chicken breasts stuffed with ham and Swiss cheese.
For this Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake, I’ve combined some medium shell pasta, shredded rotisserie chicken, prosciutto that I’ve baked so it’s nice and crispy, shredded Gruyère cheese, and some fresh thyme leaves all tossed in a smooth creamy sauce and baked to perfection.
I opted for store-bought shredded rotisserie chicken to make this dish really easy. I also decided to go with prosciutto instead of ordinary ham because when it’s crisped in the oven it’s spectacular. It adds so much more flavor than just plain ham.
What kind of wine to serve with this Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake?
This dish pairs perfectly with a Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc.
A Few Cook’s Notes for Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake Recipe:
I like to serve this dish with a small side salad.
As mentioned, I use shredded rotisserie chicken from the market to make this recipe quick and easy.
I like to use shredded Gruyère because I love that nutty flavor, but you can also use shredded Swiss cheese.
- 6 oz. prosciutto slices, thinly sliced
- 3 cups medium shell pasta
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 lb. shredded rotisserie chicken
- In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain. Spray a 9x13 pan or similar size baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay slices of prosciutto flat on prepared sheet and bake until crisp, about 13-15 minutes. Transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain. When cool enough to handle, crumble. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt the 6 Tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the flour and whisk constantly for 2 minutes until smooth. Whisk in the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer. Add the fresh thyme, salt, pepper and the heavy cream. Reduce the heat and continue whisking until the gravy thickens (about 10-12 minutes). Remove from the heat. Add the Gruyere cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Add the pasta, crispy prosciutto and the shredded chicken and stir until well combined. Pour into prepared dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly. Serve immediately.