Would it even be the holidays without a yummy little spritz cookie?? These Cherry Almond Spritz Cookies are bite-sized buttery cookies with delicious almond flavor and they’re topped with a candied cherry to make them a festive holiday favorite!
Next up for our 2022 Holiday Cookie Tray is a tasty little spritz number. These Cherry Almond Spritz Cookies are buttery and light, simple to make with your handy dandy cookie press and they’ve got a bright red little candied cherry on top to make them the perfect festive little cookie for the holiday season!
I love making a batch of spritz cookies every holiday. < ten ingredients and you’ll have a big batch of bite-sized cookies (around 72!) that are guaranteed to be a crowd fave!
Cherry Almond Spritz Cookie Ingredients
- unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- almond extract
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- candied cherries
How to Make these Cherry Almond Spritz Cookies
If you don’t have a cookie press, I highly recommended this OXO Cookie Press. I love mine. It’s simple to use, it’s got a nice little disk storage case and it makes consistently shaped cookies. I break mine out for the holidays every year. If you missed my Chai Spiced Spritz Cookies from last year you should absolutely give them a peek.
First, you’ll beat your butter and sugar together for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Then you’ll add your egg and extracts. You’ll whisk together your flour and salt and then mix with your butter mixture until well combined.
Add some of the dough to your cookie press and following the manufacturer’s directions press the cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared sheets, topping each cookie with a candied cherry (half or whatever fits best).
They’ll bake at 350 for about 9 minutes or until they’re lightly browned around the edges. Then you’ll remove them from the oven to cool for five minutes or so before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe makes lots of spritz cookies so they’re perfect for gifting this holiday season. They’re buttery and the perfect small size and they’ve got a delicious almond flavor. Hope they get a spot on your holiday tray this year! And stay tuned for holiday cookie recipe #3 tomorrow!
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Cherry Almond Spritz Cookies
Depending on how big your candied cherries are and how big the spritz cookie press design you plan to use is, you can use either a half of a candied cherry or whatever fits best.
I decided on one teaspoon of almond extract for this recipe so that the cookies would have an unmistakable almond flavor.
This recipe makes roughly 72 cookies.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 16 oz. container candied cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and the almond and vanilla extracts and continue to beat until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed, about 1-2 minutes
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt until well combined. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in the stand mixer and mix on low speed until well combined. Add some of the dough to your cookie press and following manufacturer's directions press the cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared sheets. Place one candied cherry or half of a cherry in the center of each cookie.
- Bake until lightly browned around the edges, about 8-9 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies will keep in an airtight container for one week.