This easy Beefy Zucchini Casserole is perfect for the bounty of beautiful zucchini in your garden!
Got zucchini?? Then I’ve got the tastiest casserole for you!
Holy moly this casserole guys! I mean really, how delicious does it look??
This Beefy Zucchini Casserole has made an appearance on the summer dinner menu for over 30 years in my family. I think it all started when I was in high school and my mother went through a zucchini phase one summer.
Since it was always a hit at our house growing up, of course when I first got married it was one of the first recipes I tried making for you know who…Mr. Picky. Well, you can guess how that went right? Let me do a little recap and set the stage….
Tom gets home from work, the casserole is baking in the oven and the house smells amazing.
Tom says, “wow, it smells great in here. What’s cooking?” I carefully choose my words and say, “a casserole.”
He says, “ooohhh, let me see.” Get ready, here it comes folks.
“What’s that green stuff?” he says. Uh oh…busted.
I tell him it’s zucchini and he proceeds to say, “I don’t eat zucchini. How could you wreck a perfectly delicious casserole by adding zucchini?”
I mean really? It looks delish, it smells delish but you’re going to tell me you’re not even going to try it because you don’t eat zucchini? Ugh!
It’s been 27 years of marriage and he’s still sticking to the no zucchini diet. No prob. More for me!
This will be the easiest casserole you make all summer. All you’ll need is some ground beef, yellow onion, garlic, zucchini, shredded Colby Jack cheese and one can of cream of mushroom soup, and in less than an hour dinner is on the table. You can use canned condensed cream of mushroom soup, but I like to put in some minimal extra effort and make the Pioneer Woman’s Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup. I think it tastes better than canned and there’s no MSG added. Enjoy!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb. fresh zucchini sliced into 1/4" slices
- 6-8 oz. Colby Jack cheese shredded
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup or homemade version, recipe follows
- salt and pepper to taste
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp.) butter
- 8 oz. button mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Brown ground beef with onion until beef is no longer pink. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain off grease.
- Place zucchini is sauce pan with a small amount of boiling water. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk 1/4 cup water into the condensed soup until smooth. Set aside.
- Grease a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Add half of the meat, then half of the zucchini sprinkled with salt and pepper, then half the cheese. then half the soup mixture. Repeat the layers.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, uncovered.
- Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes.Season with salt and pepper.
- Add flour and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Whisk in cream and chicken broth slowly until smooth. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- When soup cools, place in a jar and store in refrigerator or freezer.
- Note: A 10 3/4-ounce can of condensed mushroom soup is about 1 1/4 cups. The recipe makes 1 1/2cups.
Recipe adapted from Make it Know, Bake it Later