These Apricot Walnut Scones with Maple Glaze have a delightfully crispy crust with a tender, buttery inside packed with apricots and walnuts.
It’s funny how things change. When I was a little girl, I used to question why on earth my grandmother loved a scone or tea biscuit with her morning tea. I would just turn up my nose and grab the closest overly sweet donut like most kids do. Frankly, I don’t think I gave them much of a chance back then. As I’ve grown older, I’ve come to absolutely love this little English breakfast treat, and regret all the years I missed enjoying them.
Well, let’s just say I’ve been making up for lost time. Now, I make a new flavor whenever I get the chance. That’s what’s so much fun about scones. There can be so many variations. During the summer I like to include fresh in season fruit in my scones, and during the fall and winter I usually lean towards nuts and dried fruit. I love the delightful crisp crust, and the nice tender, buttery and not overly sweet inside of a scone. Today’s flavor, Apricot Walnut Scones with Maple Glaze will not disappoint. If apricots and walnuts aren’t your thing, feel free to substitute your favorite dried fruit and nut. Maybe cranberries and pistachios? Whatever you fancy, it’s up to you!
I hope you enjoy these scones with your morning cup of tea or coffee as much as I do friends! Enjoy your week, and take some time and try to remember the foods that bring back special memories for you. The holidays will be here soon, and it’s the perfect time to share those memories with your family and friends!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream plus 2 tablespoons for brushing tops
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup dried apricots chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts chopped
- Maple Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk together.
- Add the butter and mix on low speed until mixture resembles pea sized crumbs.
- Slowly add the heavy cream and egg to mixture.
- Mix just until the dough forms a thick clump.
- Add the apricots and the walnuts to the dough until well combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface.
- Pat the dough into an 8 inch round.
- Cut into 8 wedges and place on the prepared sheet.
- Place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and brush tops with the extra heavy cream.
- Bake for 18 minutes until golden brown.
- Drizzle with maple glaze and enjoy.
- For Maple Glaze:
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and whisk together.
- Drizzle over warm scones with a spoon.
Slightly adapted from Pinch of Yum Blueberry Scones.