This Nutella Pecan Rugelach is always a holiday favorite! Buttery, flaky pastry filled with a Nutella pecan filling that’s just to die for!
As promised, another holiday cookie to add to your baking list folks! And this one is an absolute must!
For those of you who aren’t familiar with rugelach, it’s a traditional crescent-shaped Jewish pastry which typically consists of a buttery, cream cheese dough that can be filled with a variety of fillings like nuts, cinnamon, chocolate or fruit preserves.
My version today, is my all time favorite. I mean, can anyone really go wrong with Nutella? And combined with a mixture of toasted pecans, cinnamon, granulated sugar and brown sugar, and you’ve got a sweet little treat that will fly off your holiday cookie tray!
The dough can be made in a snap, but needs to be refrigerated for an hour or two before rolling, so take that into account when doing your planning. While the dough is chilling you can make your pecan brown sugar filling, which is a combo granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. So easy!
Once the dough is chilled, simply roll it into a circle, spread on a yummy, decadent layer of Nutella, top it with your pecan mixture and then cut it into wedges. Roll up the wedges, refrigerate again for 30 minutes, then brush the rugelach with an egg wash, and bake. I sprinkle mine with a bit of extra granulated sugar before baking, but you can also dust with confectioner’s sugar after they’re baked if you’d rather.
These take a wee more time, because of the chilling needed, but they’re oh so worth it! Perfect for your holiday cookie trays, for gifting, or with your afternoon coffee or tea! Enjoy!
- 1 8-oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 1 cup Nutella
- Egg Wash: 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
- Garnish: extra granulated sugar for sprinkling or confectioner's sugar for dusting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer to low, and add the flour and salt just until combined. Place the dough onto a well floured surface and shape into a large ball. Cut the ball into four equal pieces and wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- While the dough is chilling, make the filling. In a small bowl, combine both sugars, cinnamon and toasted pecans. (To toast your pecans, place on baking sheet in 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes until fragrant. When cooled, finely chop.)
- On a well floured surface, roll out once disc at a time (keep others refrigerated until ready to use) into a 9-inch circle. Spread with about 1/4 cup Nutella, evenly over the dough about 1-inch in from the outer edge, and then sprinkle with a quarter of the filling mixture. Cut the dough into 12 pie-shaped wedges. Starting at the wide end, roll up each wedge.
- Place two inches apart with the point tucked under on a parchment lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush each cookie with egg wash and then sprinkle with some granulated sugar. Bake for 18-20 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining discs of dough.