This Pear Cranberry Bourbon Chutney is the perfect addition to your fall cheese board.
Wow! Like where does the time go?! It’s less than a week until Halloween, and next up…Thanksgiving! It’ll be here before we know it folks!
But don’t panic, because I’ve got ya covered.
Starting today, and continuing up until the week before Thanksgiving, I’ll be building us an EPIC Fall Cheese Board! It’s one of my favorite things to serve guests during the holiday season. It’s easier than you think to assemble, and it’s always a hit. I mean who doesn’t like cheeses, meats, crackers, fruits, olives, etc??
I’ll be sharing three homemade additions for the board, along with a fall signature cocktail that’s going to be a winner with all your friends and family. I guarantee it! All the homemade additions can be made a day or two ahead of time, and then added to the board the day you serve it. There’ll be no last minute panicking this holiday season. The recipes will be easy peasy, and I’ll include the entire list of ingredients on the board, and the how-tos to on putting it all together. Sound good?
So let’s start with today’s Pear Cranberry Bourbon Chutney. If you’re new to chutney, it’s a condiment that originated in India. It traditionally consists of chopped fruits, spices, a bit of vinegar and some sugar. It goes perfectly as a spread with cheese and crackers in my opinion, and I think once you try it you’ll totally agree.
This pear/cranberry/bourbon combo is one of my favorite combos for a fall chutney. The dried cranberries add a nice tart flavor to offset the sweetness of the pears, while the addition of the warm, rich bourbon gives the chutney a depth of flavor I think you’ll really enjoy. I’ve added some chopped shallots, garlic, mustard seed, red pepper flakes for spice, cardamon and a cinnamon stick which round out the flavor of this chutney perfectly! Enjoy!
Just so you’re totally organized, print out the recipe for the chutney below, and create a little folder marked “Epic Fall Cheese Board” so you’ll have everything in one place when you need it. You’ll thank me later!
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup shallot, finely chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 1/2 cups firm, ripe Bartlett pears, peeled , cored and chopped into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. bourbon
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. cardamon
- 1 2-inch cinnamon stick
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallot and 1/4 tsp. kosher salt and 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add minced garlic and continue to cook for one minute. Stir in the pears, brown sugar, vinegar, bourbon, cranberries, lemon juice, mustard seed, red pepper flakes, cardamon and cinnamon stick. Simmer, uncovered until the pear is tender and the mixture thickens, about 45 minutes, stirring often. Remove the cinnamon stick and remove from the heat and let cool. Store in glass jar in refrigerator. Before adding to cheeseboard, remove from refrigerator and let come to room temperature.