These Chipotle Sweet Potato and Quinoa Tacos are the perfect Meatless Monday Meal! So hearty and flavorful!
Meatless Monday has never looked better my friends!
I’m so excited to be sharing this recipe today, because it’s from my fellow blogging friend Tieghan Gerard’s new cookbook, Half Baked Harvest! Please say you guys know who Tieghan is!?
What a talent! When I first started blogging, Tieghan’s blog immediately got on my radar! Her recipes are not only delicious, but extremely unique and creative. And her photography is absolutely stunning! Her new book is filled with recipes for easy weeknight meals, decadent desserts and dishes perfect for your next party.
I’ve already made a few recipes from the book, and I’ve been wowed with each one. The Pumpkin and Cauliflower Gratin with Fried Sage was amazing, and her Provolone and Salami Phyllo Rolls were incredibly easy and a huge hit at our last football party with friends.
But today, I decided to share my favorite, these Chipotle Sweet Potato and Quinoa Tacos. OMG! The fact that I never even missed the meat in my taco is a testament to how delicious these are. As soon as I read the list of ingredients, I knew I’d love them. Roasted sweet potatoes, smoky chipotle peppers, black beans, cheddar and cotija cheeses and quinoa cooked in pumpkin beer…the flavors!!
And Tieghan recommended topping the tacos with her Honeycrisp Apple and Pomegranate Salsa which did not disappoint. It’s so perfect for fall.
I hope y’all enjoy these as much as we did, and I hope you grab a copy of her book! I guarantee it’ll become a favorite, just like these tacos! Enjoy!
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 12-oz. bottle of pumpkin or apple beer
- 1 cup black beans, canned
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, plus extra for serving
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- Corn or flour tortillas, warmed, for serving
- Cotija cheese, crumbled, for serving
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Honeycrisp Apple and Pomegranate Salsa, for serving:
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, cored and diced
- Seeds from one pomegranate
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss potatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, chipotles and salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a single layer. Flip and bake 10 minutes more or until tender.
- In a large skillet heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. When oil is hot, add the quinoa, paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne. Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes until the quinoa is toasted. Slowly add the beer and 3/4 cup water. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is tender. Remove the lid and continue to cook until all the liquid is absorbed, about 5-10 more minutes.
- Stir in the sweet potato mixture, black beans and cheddar cheese. Cook for 5 minutes until the cheese melts. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro and lime juice.
- Divide the quinoa among the warmed tortillas. Top with cheddar and cotija cheeses, avocado and the salsa.
- Honeycrisp Apple and Pomegranate Salsa:
- In a medium bowl, toss apples, pomegranate seeds, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and some salt. Taste, adding more salt if needed.