December is a busy baking month at the BHK, and the aroma of ginger permeates the air in our house all month long! It’s such a heavenly, warm, cozy smell. It’s a holiday smell! Don’t ya think? We’ll be whipping up the usual gingerbread men, gingersnap cookies, gingersnap ice cream sandwiches and these Gingerbread Donuts with Gingerbread Glaze. These donuts are a special holiday treat. They’ve got the warm taste of spices like cinnamon, ginger and cloves along with the rich, deep taste of molasses and dark brown sugar. To top it off the glaze has a little hint of cinnamon and ginger too. These will be perfect with your morning cup of coffee or tea, or even as a dessert. You’ll have a hard time eating just one. Take it from one who knows friends!
I love this recipe because, #1 these donuts are baked and not fried, which means we CAN eat two instead of one! #2 this recipe only makes 8 donuts, so we won’t be tempted by lots of extras lying around (trust me they go quick), and #3 I get to use my handy dandy Nordic Ware donut pan. It makes making donuts so easy, quick and fun. And we all know since December is one busy month, the quicker and easier the recipe, the better! Right?!
I’m thinking after all the cookies Santa eats on Christmas night, maybe a delicious baked Gingerbread Donut with Gingerbread Glaze would be a welcome treat!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 2-3 Tbsp. whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- In small bowl mix together egg, molasses, brown sugar, buttermilk and vegetable oil. Add to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared donut pan.
- Bake 8 minutes or until baked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- For glaze: In medium bowl whisk powdered sugar, cinnamon, ginger and milk until smooth. Add more milk, if needed, to get to desired consistency. Invert donut into glaze, letting excess drip off. Place on wire rack and top with sprinkles. Serve.