Inspired by the classic cake, these Red Velvet Shortbread Cookies are rich, buttery and so festive!
I’m at it again folks! I’ve got another yummy cookie to add to your holiday baking list. Tis the season!
Are you up to your eyeballs in cookies yet?! I hope you’re enjoying the bevy of beautiful cookies that have been popping up all over the internet as much as I am. I have never seen so many creative and delicious cookies! I’ve been cranking out at least two to three different kinds of cookies a week since Thanksgiving! Let’s just say in between baking, my treadmill has been getting a workout!
Do you guys have a favorite holiday cookie? I think mine would have to be a shortbread cookie of some kind. There are so many different flavor combinations to pick from. Today’s Red Velvet Shortbread Cookies get their inspiration from the classic red velvet cake. They’re crisp with a hint of chocolate and the festive red color brightens up any holiday cookie tray.
I’m sharing these sweet little mittens as part of this year’s Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange. You can follow along on all social media with the hashtag #sweetestseasoncookies to catch all the tasty recipes. We’ve got your holiday cookie baking covered! These mittens will be a delicious AND adorable addition to your holiday cookie tray, if I do say so myself! Enjoy guys!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp. red food coloring
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. Crisco shortening
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Cover and pulse until well combined. Add butter and food coloring. Pulse until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Continue to process until mixture forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2 inch thick. Cut out dough with desired cookie cutter. Place on prepared sheet 1 inch apart. Reroll scraps and continue to cut until all dough is used. The amount of cookies will depend on the size of your cookie cutter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until centers are set. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
- Place chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Dip bottom part of mitten into the chocolate and transfer to wax paper or parchment paper. Sprinkle white chocolate with sprinkles. Let cookies stand until set.
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens