Yes, you read that right. I said baked! So technically, since these donuts are baked they are better for you! That means we can eat more than one and not feel as guilty. YAHOO! And what’s even better is they are filled with blueberries! So they’re baked, loaded with blueberries AND taste great!
We all know blueberries have the highest anti-oxidant capacity of all fresh fruit, right? Blueberries are also reported to reduce belly fat, but since I am putting them in a donut I guess we have to scratch that! Oh well, we can’t have it all but we can have donuts! And with my handy-dandy donut pan from Wilton it makes whipping these babies up a piece of
cake donut! I added some cinnamon and a tablespoon of lemon zest to give these donuts added flavor and some buttermilk to keep them super moist. You won’t need to run to the donut shop for something special to go with your coffee when you can make these beauties in the comfort of your own home!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat standard size donut pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and lemon zest.
- In a small saucepan melt butter over low heat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter for 2 minutes.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Carefully fold in blueberries. Do not over mix.
- Pour dough into gallon-sized ziploc storage bag.
- Cut a 3/4 inch whole in bottom one corner of bag.
- Pipe dough into donut molds filling 3/4 full.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until donuts spring back when touched.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack.
- Dip both sides of warm donuts into extra 3/4 cup sugar.